As good as Milan? Neville & Carragher praise Southampton’s defence for their performance against Man United
- October 22, 2013
If the season ended now, Southampton would probably be most neutrals team of the season in the Premier League.
Following their 1-1 draw away at Manchester United last weekend the Saints are currently 6th in the league, and Mauricio Pochettino’s side were lavished with praise by Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher on Monday Night Football.
The Sky pundits delivered an excellent analysis of the strengths of Southampton’s defence, who remarkably have the second best record across all the top divisions in Europe (see graphic above).
The star of Southampton’s backline is 24-year-old Croatian defender Dejan Lovren (Neville: “a top class centre-back”), who was imperious at Old Trafford last week, while midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin also came in for appreciation.
Carragher made the biggest statement though, comparing Southampton’s current defence to the great AC Milan team of Baresi and Maldini.
Watch Neville and Carragher discuss Southampton’s brilliant backline in two videos below.
- Chelsea and England defender Gary Cahill teaches kids how to defend crosses [Video]
- Chelsea man Gary Cahill teaches kids how to defend crosses [Video]
- John Terry & Gary Cahill’s interview interrupted by champagne spray in Chels...
- Gary Cahill calls Chelsea’s match v Crystal Palace this weekend a ‘cup fina...
- Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain & Gary Cahill take the Rugby Crossbar Challenge [Video]
- Chelsea’s Gary Cahill disappointed with result & performance after CL exit t...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi