As good as Milan? Neville & Carragher praise Southampton’s defence for their performance against Man United
- October 22, 2013
If the season ended now, Southampton would probably be most neutrals team of the season in the Premier League.
Following their 1-1 draw away at Manchester United last weekend the Saints are currently 6th in the league, and Mauricio Pochettino’s side were lavished with praise by Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher on Monday Night Football.
The Sky pundits delivered an excellent analysis of the strengths of Southampton’s defence, who remarkably have the second best record across all the top divisions in Europe (see graphic above).
The star of Southampton’s backline is 24-year-old Croatian defender Dejan Lovren (Neville: “a top class centre-back”), who was imperious at Old Trafford last week, while midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin also came in for appreciation.
Carragher made the biggest statement though, comparing Southampton’s current defence to the great AC Milan team of Baresi and Maldini.
Watch Neville and Carragher discuss Southampton’s brilliant backline in two videos below.
- Chelsea 2 – Barcelona 2: Hazard & Cahill find the target before Blues win a ...
- Everton fans slam Chelsea for Gary Cahill’s public tapping up of John Stones [Bes...
- John Terry & Gary Cahill return to pre-season training early [Instagram video]
- Chelsea and England defender Gary Cahill teaches kids how to defend crosses [Video]
- Chelsea man Gary Cahill teaches kids how to defend crosses [Video]
- John Terry & Gary Cahill’s interview interrupted by champagne spray in Chels...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...