Arsene Wenger was not in Basel to sign players; Arsenal boss attended the funeral of mentor Max Hild
- April 2, 2014
There were online suggestions that Arsene Wenger was spotted on the way to Basel, Switzerland, in order to sign new players for Arsenal.
The likes of Swiss striker Josip Drmic and Basel defender Fabian Schar have been linked with Arsenal and many speculated that Wenger was on his way to set up a transfer deal.
It has since emerged, in the Swiss press, that Arsene Wenger was in fact in Weyersheim, Switzerland to attend the funeral of his mentor Max Hild.
There were a number of football personalities present, including Wenger, to pay their respects to “a great football man” (according to the Swiss press) who died at the age of 82 last week.
Arsene Wenger was discovered by Max Hild as a player when he was 18 and he remained a mentor and inspiration.
The Arsenal boss went to pay his respects to Max Hild’s son Patrick and local Swiss reports say all atendees had a friendly drink to mark the passing of a well-known football man in the Alsace region.
- Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez produces really classy gesture at Chile training [video]
- Behind the scenes on Petr Cech’s first day at Arsenal [video]
- Chelsea fans enjoy new interview where Petr Cech jokes about Arsenal [video]
- Arturo Vidal’s agent reveals there has been no contact with Arsenal [Di Marzio]
- Lukas Podolski appears on Galatasaray TV as move from Arsenal draws near [video]
- David Seaman hails Arsenal’s capture of Petr Cech from Chelsea on Talksport [Audio]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi