Arsene Wenger was not in Basel to sign players; Arsenal boss attended the funeral of mentor Max Hild
There were online suggestions that Arsene Wenger was spotted on the way to Basel, Switzerland, in order to sign new players for Arsenal.
The likes of Swiss striker Josip Drmic and Basel defender Fabian Schar have been linked with Arsenal and many speculated that Wenger was on his way to set up a transfer deal.
It has since emerged, in the Swiss press, that Arsene Wenger was in fact in Weyersheim, Switzerland to attend the funeral of his mentor Max Hild.
There were a number of football personalities present, including Wenger, to pay their respects to “a great football man” (according to the Swiss press) who died at the age of 82 last week.
Arsene Wenger was discovered by Max Hild as a player when he was 18 and he remained a mentor and inspiration.
The Arsenal boss went to pay his respects to Max Hild’s son Patrick and local Swiss reports say all atendees had a friendly drink to mark the passing of a well-known football man in the Alsace region.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal fans react to news Lyon’s Alexandre Lacazette is injuredAugust 29, 2016
- Rumour: Arsenal may still sign one more striker after Lucas PerezAugust 29, 2016
- Man City & Chelsea stars plus Marcus Rashford & Alexis Sanchez in the BBC XI of the weekAugust 29, 2016
- Great Memory: Patrice Evra commemorates Manchester United 8 – Arsenal 2 on InstagramAugust 28, 2016
- Arsenal boss confirms Lucas Perez and Shkodran Mustafi have been signed (Video)August 27, 2016
- Arsene Wenger insists he is a big spender….in real life (Video)August 26, 2016
- Arsene Wenger hints at Lucas Perez and Shkodran Mustafi signing for Arsenal (Video)August 26, 2016
- Arsenal’s instalments bid of £17m for Lucas Perez rejected by Deportivo [Cadena Ser]August 25, 2016