Arsene Wenger was not in Basel to sign players; Arsenal boss attended the funeral of mentor Max Hild
There were online suggestions that Arsene Wenger was spotted on the way to Basel, Switzerland, in order to sign new players for Arsenal.
The likes of Swiss striker Josip Drmic and Basel defender Fabian Schar have been linked with Arsenal and many speculated that Wenger was on his way to set up a transfer deal.
It has since emerged, in the Swiss press, that Arsene Wenger was in fact in Weyersheim, Switzerland to attend the funeral of his mentor Max Hild.
There were a number of football personalities present, including Wenger, to pay their respects to “a great football man” (according to the Swiss press) who died at the age of 82 last week.
Arsene Wenger was discovered by Max Hild as a player when he was 18 and he remained a mentor and inspiration.
The Arsenal boss went to pay his respects to Max Hild’s son Patrick and local Swiss reports say all atendees had a friendly drink to mark the passing of a well-known football man in the Alsace region.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal v Basel: UEFA Champions League preview, line-ups & predictionsSeptember 26, 2016
- Arsenal’s Francis Coquelin pictured in leg brace at hospitalSeptember 26, 2016
- Arsenal old boy Andrey Arshavin scored a stunner in Kazakhstan (Video)September 26, 2016
- Ref Michael Oliver tracked back quicker than Chelsea’s N’Golo Kante v ArsenalSeptember 26, 2016
- Arsenal receive a worrying Francis Coquelin updateSeptember 25, 2016
- Ex Arsenal man scores Bergkamp esque goal in Eredivisie matchSeptember 25, 2016
- Arsene Wenger Trolls Chelsea & Cesc Fabregas with amusing song (442oons video)September 25, 2016
- Arsene Wenger shares a joke about Jose Mourinho in his presser (Video)September 25, 2016