Arsene Wenger was not in Basel to sign players; Arsenal boss attended the funeral of mentor Max Hild
There were online suggestions that Arsene Wenger was spotted on the way to Basel, Switzerland, in order to sign new players for Arsenal.
The likes of Swiss striker Josip Drmic and Basel defender Fabian Schar have been linked with Arsenal and many speculated that Wenger was on his way to set up a transfer deal.
It has since emerged, in the Swiss press, that Arsene Wenger was in fact in Weyersheim, Switzerland to attend the funeral of his mentor Max Hild.
There were a number of football personalities present, including Wenger, to pay their respects to “a great football man” (according to the Swiss press) who died at the age of 82 last week.
Arsene Wenger was discovered by Max Hild as a player when he was 18 and he remained a mentor and inspiration.
The Arsenal boss went to pay his respects to Max Hild’s son Patrick and local Swiss reports say all atendees had a friendly drink to mark the passing of a well-known football man in the Alsace region.
Watch Live Stream
- Jack Wilshere responds to Jamie Redknapp’s prediction that he won’t return to ArsenalOctober 24, 2016
- Nigerian billionaire Aliko Dangote talks about his Arsenal takeover plans (BBC Audio)October 23, 2016
- Arsenal to rescue Yaya Toure from Man City [Express]October 23, 2016
- Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil & Man United’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic slammed on the BBC (Video)October 23, 2016
- Koscielny thanks Wenger for ‘having balls’ to sign him when he was nobody [L’Equipe]October 22, 2016
- Arsene Wenger imagines what a chat with God will be like when he dies [Guardian]October 22, 2016
- Mike Dean V Arsenal – How The Gunners really fare?October 21, 2016
- Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger discusses Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil’s contracts (Video)October 21, 2016