Arsene Wenger was not in Basel to sign players; Arsenal boss attended the funeral of mentor Max Hild
There were online suggestions that Arsene Wenger was spotted on the way to Basel, Switzerland, in order to sign new players for Arsenal.
The likes of Swiss striker Josip Drmic and Basel defender Fabian Schar have been linked with Arsenal and many speculated that Wenger was on his way to set up a transfer deal.
It has since emerged, in the Swiss press, that Arsene Wenger was in fact in Weyersheim, Switzerland to attend the funeral of his mentor Max Hild.
There were a number of football personalities present, including Wenger, to pay their respects to “a great football man” (according to the Swiss press) who died at the age of 82 last week.
Arsene Wenger was discovered by Max Hild as a player when he was 18 and he remained a mentor and inspiration.
The Arsenal boss went to pay his respects to Max Hild’s son Patrick and local Swiss reports say all atendees had a friendly drink to mark the passing of a well-known football man in the Alsace region.
Watch Live Stream
- Thierry Henry uses Spurs as example for youngsters being mentally weak (Video)May 31st, 2016
- The best jokes as Arsenal’s Aaron Ramsey gets a ridiculous new haircut [Tweets]May 31st, 2016
- Olivier Giroud booed by France fans; Arsenal striker hits back after 3-2 win [Quotes]May 31st, 2016
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan rejects new Dortmund contract amidst Arsenal & Chelsea interest [BILD]May 31st, 2016
- Arsenal’s Szczesny implicitly belittles Wenger’s coaching by heaping praise on SpalettiMay 22nd, 2016
- Arsenal boss laments departure of ‘Spiritual Leaders’ Arteta & Rosicky (Video)May 15th, 2016
- Arsene Wenger confirms three Arsenal Stalwarts will leave this summer (Video)May 13th, 2016
- Arsene Wenger denies rumours that he has been offered new 2-year contract extension (Video)May 13th, 2016