Arsene Wenger was not in Basel to sign players; Arsenal boss attended the funeral of mentor Max Hild
- April 2, 2014
There were online suggestions that Arsene Wenger was spotted on the way to Basel, Switzerland, in order to sign new players for Arsenal.
The likes of Swiss striker Josip Drmic and Basel defender Fabian Schar have been linked with Arsenal and many speculated that Wenger was on his way to set up a transfer deal.
It has since emerged, in the Swiss press, that Arsene Wenger was in fact in Weyersheim, Switzerland to attend the funeral of his mentor Max Hild.
There were a number of football personalities present, including Wenger, to pay their respects to “a great football man” (according to the Swiss press) who died at the age of 82 last week.
Arsene Wenger was discovered by Max Hild as a player when he was 18 and he remained a mentor and inspiration.
The Arsenal boss went to pay his respects to Max Hild’s son Patrick and local Swiss reports say all atendees had a friendly drink to mark the passing of a well-known football man in the Alsace region.
- Chelsea’s Pedro skinned Arsenal’s Santi Cazorla at Spain training (Video)
- Arsenal academy players talk about what it’s like to get your first pro contract ...
- Wenger ‘happy’ with Arsenal’s summer spending, questions Man United’s...
- Man City & Man United top transfer window net spend Premier League table [Picture]
- #WengerOut: Arsenal fan Piers Morgan blasts Arsene Wenger for lack of spending (Audio)
- Arsenal Supporters’ Trust calls for inquiry into club’s transfer strategy [...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...