Arsene Wenger says it’s ‘impossible’ to get team prepared due to commercial trip in World Cup year
- July 25, 2014
Arsene Wenger has echoed Louis van Gaal’s sentiments from earlier this week, when the Dutchman had a gripe about the extent of Manchester United’s obligations.
Arsenal boss Wenger added the factor of it being a World Cup year into the mix, lamenting that his side had to fly out to the US in between the recent World Cup finish, and the very-soon Premier League beginning.
It does feel as though the World Cup finished literally yesterday, and it is hard to believe that those who took part in Brazil could be 100% recharged and refreshed.
They’ll no sooner be back on home soil than the league season will be upon them, and Wenger feels in this context, it will be ‘impossible to adequately prepare his team this year.
“These training camps in the modern game are decided for commercial reasons and because of the extent of popularity of the club.
“We’ve never been to the States before and I was very happy to come to New York, a city I love. But for purely football reasons, the best thing to do is stay and not travel too much – because of the time you waste and the jet-lag you suffer.”
He added: “This season is a post-World Cup year and very difficult because the time is very short between the final, which was on 13 July, and the start of the new season on 16 August. Fifa say you are obliged to give four weeks’ holiday to the players, so I don’t know how all that works together.
It looks, to me, impossible.”
(Via The Guardian)
- Unconfirmed: Karim Benzema will join Arsenal on a 4-year contract worth €9m a season
- Arsenal U19 star Gedion Zelalem produces cheeky piece of skill to beat PSV defender (Vi...
- Arsenal fans troll Chelsea with their brand new Petr Cech song (Videos)
- Augsberg defender Abdul Rahman Baba agrees personal terms With Chelsea [Bild]
- Arsenal legend Ian Wright strangely takes to Twitter to beg his old club to sign Real M...
- Aaron Ramsey thinks Theo Walcott is set for a prolific season (Video)
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi