Arsene Wenger: ‘Özil still affected by Bayern penalty miss; Giroud is focused, he’s a strong guy’
- February 21, 2014
The fallout from Mesut Özil’s paradinha penalty miss/Neuer save linger on around the Emirates.
48 hours on, the German international’s midweek penalty miss was the only hot topic at Wenger’s presser today, with the Arsenal boss admitting it’s still playing on Ozil’s mind.
‘It’s only been 48 hours, it’s a little bit soon to get over something like that.’
Wenger went on to insist that it’s not the end of the world – Alaba missed one too – and that it will be up to Ozil whether he takes one again.
Dennis Bergkamp, after all, refused to take any more after his miss against Man United in the FA Cup semi-final in 1999.
Wenger also answered questions on Giroud, insisting that the Frenchman is focused in spite of his off-field problems and escapades; Wenger says he’s seen many players, and few are as mentally strong as Giroud.
The final word was for Ozil, whose class Wenger believes will ultimately shine through.
Form is temporary after all, class permanent.
- Arsene Wenger confident of making last minute deals (Video)
- Arsene Wenger calls for video technology to solve tight offside calls (Video)
- Arsenal boss previews Newcastle & gives fitness update on Per Mertesacker & L...
- Watch Arsene Wenger’s full presser pre-Newcastle. Talks about Spurs tie & tr...
- EPL enhanced offers!!! 5/1 Arsenal to beat Newcastle, 6/1 Spurs v Everton & Real M...
- Arsenal were drawn in a nasty group in the Champions League dress rehearsal (Picture)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...