- Brilliant! Sunderland’s Adam Johnson trolled Newcastle’s Jack Colback after 1-0 win [Picture]
- Liverpool v Arsenal [Team Sheets]
- Thumping golazo! Fiorentina star Juan Manuel Vargas nets scorcher v Empoli [Vine & Video]
- Palermo’s Franco Vazquez scored a sweet 30-yard lob v Atalanta, in off the bar [Video]
- Awful! QPR stars Charlie Austin, Joey Barton & more tell festive jokes [Video]
Arsene Wenger: ‘Özil still affected by Bayern penalty miss; Giroud is focused, he’s a strong guy’
The fallout from Mesut Özil’s paradinha penalty miss/Neuer save linger on around the Emirates.
48 hours on, the German international’s midweek penalty miss was the only hot topic at Wenger’s presser today, with the Arsenal boss admitting it’s still playing on Ozil’s mind.
‘It’s only been 48 hours, it’s a little bit soon to get over something like that.’
Wenger went on to insist that it’s not the end of the world – Alaba missed one too – and that it will be up to Ozil whether he takes one again.
Dennis Bergkamp, after all, refused to take any more after his miss against Man United in the FA Cup semi-final in 1999.
Wenger also answered questions on Giroud, insisting that the Frenchman is focused in spite of his off-field problems and escapades; Wenger says he’s seen many players, and few are as mentally strong as Giroud.
The final word was for Ozil, whose class Wenger believes will ultimately shine through.
Form is temporary after all, class permanent.
- Updated: February 21, 2014