Arsene Wenger opens the Four Four Jew exhibition, jokes about Arsenal v Spurs [video]
- October 10, 2013
On one of the quietest football nights of the year, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger opened the Four Four Jew exhibition in Camden on Wednesday evening.
Typically, Wenger was erudite in his comments and gave a fine opening speech where he praised the exhibition which looks at exploring the untold story of British Jews and football.
After being introduced by David Dein, Wenger cracked a few jokes, including over who has more Jewish fans: Arsenal or Tottenham.
Wenger also talked of the strong Jewish community in Strasbourg where he grew up as well as his love for the Beautiful Game.
On religion, Wenger later told Rob Harris of AP the following: “I prayed a lot when I was a kid because I was educated in a Catholic area. Religion was very strong to us, to ask the priest if I can play on Sunday afternoon … now I am a bit less (religious) because when you are under pressure you only think of our game. How can I win the next game? And you try to be a bit more pragmatic.”
Wenger added: “Belief is important, and I am forever grateful for the values my religion has given,” he said. “And basically if you analyze it, all the religions spread good values and positive values, and that is important that you find that in our sport.”
- Gary Neville says Arsenal don’t have enough strength, power or pace to win title ...
- Arsenal magician Santi Cazorla packs his Ultimate XI with Spain stars (Video)
- Arsene Wenger confident of making last minute deals (Video)
- Arsene Wenger calls for video technology to solve tight offside calls (Video)
- Arsenal boss previews Newcastle & gives fitness update on Per Mertesacker & L...
- Watch Arsene Wenger’s full presser pre-Newcastle. Talks about Spurs tie & tr...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...