Arsene Wenger opens the Four Four Jew exhibition, jokes about Arsenal v Spurs [video]
- October 10, 2013
On one of the quietest football nights of the year, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger opened the Four Four Jew exhibition in Camden on Wednesday evening.
Typically, Wenger was erudite in his comments and gave a fine opening speech where he praised the exhibition which looks at exploring the untold story of British Jews and football.
After being introduced by David Dein, Wenger cracked a few jokes, including over who has more Jewish fans: Arsenal or Tottenham.
Wenger also talked of the strong Jewish community in Strasbourg where he grew up as well as his love for the Beautiful Game.
On religion, Wenger later told Rob Harris of AP the following: “I prayed a lot when I was a kid because I was educated in a Catholic area. Religion was very strong to us, to ask the priest if I can play on Sunday afternoon … now I am a bit less (religious) because when you are under pressure you only think of our game. How can I win the next game? And you try to be a bit more pragmatic.”
Wenger added: “Belief is important, and I am forever grateful for the values my religion has given,” he said. “And basically if you analyze it, all the religions spread good values and positive values, and that is important that you find that in our sport.”
- Arsenal fans (incl. Piers Morgan) mock Robin van Persie on Twitter ahead of Fenerbahçe ...
- ‘I am a Lion': Lukas Podolski officially unveiled as a Galatasaray player
- Galatasaray confirm Lukas Podolski will sign contract today, drawing his Arsenal career...
- Hector Bellerin speaks about how he felt when he first heard fans sing his name [Video]
- Arsenal full-back Nacho Monreal shows his patriotic side with Ultimate XI choices [Video]
- Barcelona have beaten Chelsea to signing of €35m Arda Turan [TalkSport]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi