Arsene Wenger names Mikel Arteta as new Arsenal captain with Mertesacker as deputy
- August 10, 2014
Arsene Wenger has named Mikel Arteta as the new captain of Arsenal with Per Mertesacker taking up the role of vice-captain.
The captain’s armband was vacant after Thomas Vermaelen departed for Barcelona so Wenger decided to name the veteran Spaniard as the team’s new leader on the pitch.
Arteta could not have made a better start to life as skipper, lifting the Community Shield after a comprehensive 3-0 victory over Manchester City.
It also bodes well for Arteta’s future at Arsenal. The midfielder has only 12 months remaining on his contract but negotiations have apparently begun to extend his current deal.
Wenger says that Arteta is now his new captain after Vermaelen departure; Mertesacker the vice-captain
— Sam Wallace (@SamWallaceIndy) August 10, 2014
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...