- Russian international Ivan Novoseltsev proposes to his girlfriend on the pitch at full time [Video]
- Michael Owen doubles down on his belief that Liverpool’s Sterling is better than Arsenal’s Ozil [Video]
- Man United & Liverpool’s hopes to sign Memphis Depay complicated as Pep Guardiola reveals his hand
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus now faces a criminal record for driving without a licence [Bild]
- A defender in Sweden headbutts the crossbar after conceding a goal [Videos]
Arsene Wenger names Mikel Arteta as new Arsenal captain with Mertesacker as deputy
- August 10, 2014
Arsene Wenger has named Mikel Arteta as the new captain of Arsenal with Per Mertesacker taking up the role of vice-captain.
The captain’s armband was vacant after Thomas Vermaelen departed for Barcelona so Wenger decided to name the veteran Spaniard as the team’s new leader on the pitch.
Arteta could not have made a better start to life as skipper, lifting the Community Shield after a comprehensive 3-0 victory over Manchester City.
It also bodes well for Arteta’s future at Arsenal. The midfielder has only 12 months remaining on his contract but negotiations have apparently begun to extend his current deal.
Wenger says that Arteta is now his new captain after Vermaelen departure; Mertesacker the vice-captain
— Sam Wallace (@SamWallaceIndy) August 10, 2014