Arsene Wenger names Mikel Arteta as new Arsenal captain with Mertesacker as deputy
Arsene Wenger has named Mikel Arteta as the new captain of Arsenal with Per Mertesacker taking up the role of vice-captain.
The captain’s armband was vacant after Thomas Vermaelen departed for Barcelona so Wenger decided to name the veteran Spaniard as the team’s new leader on the pitch.
Arteta could not have made a better start to life as skipper, lifting the Community Shield after a comprehensive 3-0 victory over Manchester City.
It also bodes well for Arteta’s future at Arsenal. The midfielder has only 12 months remaining on his contract but negotiations have apparently begun to extend his current deal.
Wenger says that Arteta is now his new captain after Vermaelen departure; Mertesacker the vice-captain
— Sam Wallace (@SamWallaceIndy) August 10, 2014
- Mistake? El Confidencial suggest Karim Benzema should have left Real Madrid to join Ars...
- Liverpool owners approach Jurgen Klopp & still expect to challenge for title this ...
- Arsenal star Alexis Sanchez posts lengthy Instagram post on sacrifices behind a footballer
- Man United’s Anthony Martial rejects comparisons to Arsenal hero Thierry Henry [RMC]
- Arsene Wenger stated Arsenal’s title ambitions after beating Man United (Video)
- Arsene Wenger sad to see ‘quality’ Brendan Rodgers sacked by Liverpool (Video)
- Arsene Wenger: We surprised Manchester United with our pace (Video)
- Arsene Wenger snaps at reporter over Mourinho questions, threatens to leave presser (Vi...
- Arsenal fan Bully slams Giroud & Arteta after 2-1 defeat; Claims CL draw is fixed ...
- Mikel Arteta crucified by Arsenal fans during 2-1 defeat to Dinamo Zagreb [Best Tweets]
- Mikel Arteta says Arsenal teammate The Ox has the world at his feet (Video)
- Mikel Arteta hoping to play a part for Arsenal this season (Video)