Arsene Wenger names Mikel Arteta as new Arsenal captain with Mertesacker as deputy
- August 10, 2014
Arsene Wenger has named Mikel Arteta as the new captain of Arsenal with Per Mertesacker taking up the role of vice-captain.
The captain’s armband was vacant after Thomas Vermaelen departed for Barcelona so Wenger decided to name the veteran Spaniard as the team’s new leader on the pitch.
Arteta could not have made a better start to life as skipper, lifting the Community Shield after a comprehensive 3-0 victory over Manchester City.
It also bodes well for Arteta’s future at Arsenal. The midfielder has only 12 months remaining on his contract but negotiations have apparently begun to extend his current deal.
Wenger says that Arteta is now his new captain after Vermaelen departure; Mertesacker the vice-captain
— Sam Wallace (@SamWallaceIndy) August 10, 2014
- Which club is bigger Arsenal or Chelsea? [AFTV v CFC]
- Chelsea captain John Terry admits it will be strange to play against ‘Big Pete...
- Wilshere = Fabregas: Daily Mail compare Arsenal & Chelsea through Little Englander...
- Arsene Wenger wants to win Community Shield v Chelsea to set tone for new season (Video)
- Arsenal stopper Petr Cech speaks about how he became a goalkeeper (Video)
- Gary Neville says Jack Wilshere’s chant about Spurs was the best thing he’s...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi