- A Sam Gallagher stunner saw Southampton U21s beat Blackburn in the Premier League Cup final [Video]
- Man United & Liverpool target Memphis Depay is eccentric & doesn’t talk to the media [Talksport Audio]
- Angry Flamengo player gives ref incredibly hard handshake after 1-0 defeat to Vasco [GIF]
- Close up footage of the tension on Barcelona’s bench during the win over Valencia [Video]
- Robin van Persie made his Man United return for the U21s v Leicester [Individual highlights]
Arsene Wenger is staying at Arsenal with Bayern’s Mandzukic & Man United’s Cleverley targets [Mirror]
- April 23, 2014
John Cross, the Mirror’s resident expert on all things Arsenal, has splashed the backpage of his tabloid with confirmation that the Professor is staying on at the Emirates this summer.
The defiant headline in the Mirror reads “Wenger Stays”.
Not content with dropping that bombshell, the Mirror go on to claim that Bayern Munich striker Mario Mandzukic is Arsenal’s top target this summer, while Wenger will be given a warchest of £70m to spend in total.
Perhaps more shocking, the Gunners are also linked with a swoop for Man United midfielder Tom Cleverley.
Of course, at the time of writing Arsene Wenger ha yet to officially announce he has signed a contract extension at Arsenal with his present deal expiring at the end of the season.
John Cross writes:
The Frenchman accepts his squad needs strengthening in several areas as he look to bring in a big name striker, new right back, midfield general, wide player and new keeper.
Wenger is also keeping tabs on Manchester United’s Tom Cleverley who is a target for Everton this summer but his future is now unclear with a new manager set to come in at Old Trafford.
Arsenal have been scouting Real Sociedad’s French prospect Antoine Griezmann as he looks to inject more pace into his squad.
They also rate highly young right back Calum Chambers at Southampton even though he could cost £10m-plus.