- Watch Lionel Messi watch his Barcelona tribute for becoming La Liga top goal scorer
- AC Milan v Inter Milan: Watch a live stream of the Derby della Madonnina – available in UK
- Liverpool linked to £10m bid for Norwich’s Nathan Redmond in the Sunday Star [Picture]
- Superfan Claude doesn’t think Gunners will make top 4 after Man United loss [Arsenal Fan TV]
- Mario Balotelli turns up at the boxing, surely out of Crystal Palace v Liverpool
Arsene Wenger crushes Khedira to Arsenal link, saying Real Madrid player ‘never close’ to joining
Arsene Wenger has revealed that Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira was ‘never close’ to joining Arsenal.
In news that will be accepted by Arsenal fans with heavy hearts, Wenger exclaimed that he didn’t know where the link came from.
With quotes provided by The Telegraph, the Gunners boss spoke at a press conference ahead of the Community Shield on Sunday: “I don’t know who has put Khedira on the market – is it his agent or the press?
We were never close to signing him. Jack Wilshere is back fit and in midfield we have offensive midfielders and quite a few box-to-box players.”
But Wenger remained open to further additions: “We still have three and a half weeks before the transfer market closes.
I am open to it (more transfers) but Joel Campbell has come back plus the addition of the four players we have already bought. We have not lost players until now so we have a big squad at the moment.”
Arsenal have already signed Alexis Sanchez, Callum Chambers, Mathieu Debuchy and David Ospina this summer.
- Updated: August 7, 2014