- Linfield’s Ivan Sproule sent off for putting his shirt on the corner flag v Glentoran [Video]
- Top 5 Soccer AM 2014 car park goals ft Arsenal hero David Seaman & ex-West Ham man Dean Ashton
- A young Irish Man United fan goes crazy when he gets tickets for Christmas [Video]
- Late Christmas present? Arsenal’s Olivier Giroud spotted shopping in Victoria Secret [Picture]
- Lukas Podolski: ‘In the next few days I’m going to talk to Arsene Wenger’ [Super Express]
Arsene Wenger confirms Calum Chambers can fill 3 positions at Arsenal
When it was first revealed that Arsenal were signing Calum Chambers from Southampton, many Gooners wondered why.
After all, Arsenal have recently signed a right back, Mathieu Debuchy from Newcastle, and a fee of 11 million pounds seems excessive for a player that is just 19 and has little experience in the Premier League.
Arsene Wenger is quoted by the Daily Mail saying: “He hasn’t played many games but the English players on the market in England are very expensive. At the end of the day I was ready to take a gamble because he is a one for the future.”
The Arsenal boss added on Calum Chambers: “He is a player I wanted because I rated his quality and intelligence. He is only 19 and can play at centre-back, right-back and central midfield. I hope he will give us competition for the players in those three positions.”
According to the Press Association, Chambers will sign for Arsenal today, the Daily Mail suggest it could take 48 hours.
Wenger also confirms in the Daily Mail article that Alexis Sanchez will arrive for pre-season training on Tuesday but is not expected to join up with his new team mates until later in the week.
The Chilean World Cup star could well play a part in the Emirates Cup next weekend.
Won't be a popular observation but obvious comparison with Chambers in terms of positions/fee is Phil Jones. AW wanted Jones too.
— gunnerblog (@gunnerblog) July 27, 2014
- Updated: July 28, 2014