Arsenal to send scouts to watch Atletico’s amazing Diego Costa with view to £32m January deal [Goal.com]
- December 18, 2013
We know. Just the viewing of the words Goal.com in the title makes the following story hard to believe, but it’s quite simple to pick apart the bones of this next unlikely transfer.
Wayne Veysey, the site’s Chief Correspondent, has somehow got his hands on the knowledge that Arsenal will send scouts to Atletico Madrid’s next two matches, and from there a combination of matching up truths with tabloid narratives unfolds.
Arsene Wenger and the Gunners’ chief scout Steve Rowley have identified the Brazilian as a potential January target as the Premier League leaders step up plans to reinforce their front line.
Scouts have been instructed to assess Costa in Wednesday night’s Copa Del Rey clash against Sant Andreu and Saturday’s La Liga match against Levante, both of which take place at the Vicente Calderon.
The article goes on the note the Costa renewed his deal only in August agreeing to stay at Atletico until 2018, however “it is understood a fresh buy-out clause of €38 million (£32.1m) was inserted in the deal.”
It’s also reported that “Arsenal have made contact with Costa’s representatives.”
While Arsenal fans would dearly love to sign Diego Costa in January, or at any point in the near future for that matter, it’s possible that Arsenal truthfully will have scouts at the games to scout the striker, and that Costa does have the reported buy-out clause, but nevertheless it remains highly dubious to believe that the Gunners can land such a big prize.
Atletico are second in La Liga, they are through to the last-16 of the Champions League, Diego Costa has 22 goals in 21 Atletico games, including 17 in 16 in the league, and pigs probably have a better chance of flying than this deal coming to fruition.
- Arsene Wenger spotted in Paris, could Arsenal land Edinson Cavani? (Pictures)
- Arsenal loanee Gedion Zelalem got stamped on for Rangers on Sunday (Video)
- Arsenal loanee Wojciech Szczesny makes spectacular 92nd minute save in 2-1 win v Juvent...
- Arsenal loanee Gedion Zelalem bags lovely through ball assist on Rangers league debut (...
- ‘It’s not worth celebrating’ Arsenal fans’ bizarre reaction aft...
- Arsenal fans react to claims Riyad Mahrez could move from Leicester (Tweets)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...