- Manchester United’s Louis van Gaal still believes United can win title [Video]
- Chelsea’s Cesc Fabregas has a history of leading the PL assists chart at the halfway stage [Graphic]
- Ashley Barnes (Burnley) thumping equaliser v Man City from behind the goal [Video]
- Real Madrid keepers Keylor Navas & Iker Casillas make incredible saves in training [Video]
- Shots fired! Fernando Torres admits he left Liverpool for Chelsea to win trophies
Arsenal to send scouts to watch Atletico’s amazing Diego Costa with view to £32m January deal [Goal.com]
We know. Just the viewing of the words Goal.com in the title makes the following story hard to believe, but it’s quite simple to pick apart the bones of this next unlikely transfer.
Wayne Veysey, the site’s Chief Correspondent, has somehow got his hands on the knowledge that Arsenal will send scouts to Atletico Madrid’s next two matches, and from there a combination of matching up truths with tabloid narratives unfolds.
Arsene Wenger and the Gunners’ chief scout Steve Rowley have identified the Brazilian as a potential January target as the Premier League leaders step up plans to reinforce their front line.
Scouts have been instructed to assess Costa in Wednesday night’s Copa Del Rey clash against Sant Andreu and Saturday’s La Liga match against Levante, both of which take place at the Vicente Calderon.
The article goes on the note the Costa renewed his deal only in August agreeing to stay at Atletico until 2018, however “it is understood a fresh buy-out clause of €38 million (£32.1m) was inserted in the deal.”
It’s also reported that “Arsenal have made contact with Costa’s representatives.”
While Arsenal fans would dearly love to sign Diego Costa in January, or at any point in the near future for that matter, it’s possible that Arsenal truthfully will have scouts at the games to scout the striker, and that Costa does have the reported buy-out clause, but nevertheless it remains highly dubious to believe that the Gunners can land such a big prize.
Atletico are second in La Liga, they are through to the last-16 of the Champions League, Diego Costa has 22 goals in 21 Atletico games, including 17 in 16 in the league, and pigs probably have a better chance of flying than this deal coming to fruition.
- Updated: December 18, 2013