Arsenal to lodge £35m double raid on Swansea for Michu & Ashley Williams [Evening Standard]
Amid a background of an opening Premier League defeat at home to Aston Villa, Arsene Wenger’s lack of transfer activity in the summer, and a terrible injury crisis, Monday’s edition of the London Evening Standard has claimed that the Gunners are plotting a £35m double raid on Swansea for Michu and Ashley Williams.
Reporter James Olley writes:
Arsenal are weighing up a £35million double raid on Swansea for striker Michu and defender Ashley Williams as the club look to respond to mounting criticism over their lack of signings.
It is understood that Swansea are reluctant to sell but have valued the 27-year-old at £25m in the knowledge that a bid at that level would be hard to reject, especially with Michael Laudrup still keen to add to his squad.
Arsenal view that figure as excessive, especially given Michu cost Swansea just £2m from Rayo Vallecano last summer but in the context of their other centre-forward targets, the deal could prove attractive.
With a large helping of no quotes the story in the Evening Standard seems flimsy at best, although the general notion that Arsenal need a centre-half and a attacking addition does at least make sense.
Nevertheless, the regurgitation of linking Arsenal with players whom the North Londoners have been linked to heavily earlier in the summer, only strengthens the central fact that Arsenal are majorly short of fit players as the club struggle to buy anybody.
Watch Live Stream
- Carl Jenkinson dropped as Wenger admits he’s been affected by Arsenal fans’ Twitter abuseDecember 3, 2016
- Santi Cazorla reassures Arsenal fans over injury timeline (Video)December 2, 2016
- Arsenal not interested in bringing Wilshere back despite crocked Cazorla [Times]December 2, 2016
- Arsenal now ahead of Liverpool in the race for Welsh wonderkid AmpaduDecember 2, 2016
- New Napoli man Michu scores in trainingJuly 19, 2014
- DONE DEAL! Napoli sign Michu from Swansea on loanJuly 17, 2014
- Swansea striker Michu has passed a medical to join Napoli, deal imminent [COPE]June 28, 2014
- Michu celebrates return from injury for Swansea with photoshopped picture of himself as a Wild CatMarch 15, 2014
- Swansea’s Bob Bradley discusses living through the Port Said tragedy (BBC Audio)November 29, 2016
- Swansea’s players troll Crystal Palace in their locker room [Instagram]November 26, 2016
- Twitter reacts to Swansea’s crazy 5-4 win over Crystal Palace [Tweets]November 26, 2016
- Dean Saunders spoke too soon during Swansea 5 – Crystal Palace 4 (Video)November 26, 2016