- “Gareth Bale has given the green light to sign for Man United next summer” [Sunday Express]
- Real Madrid post YouTube video of Club World Cup celebrations
- Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to snub Michel Platini after the Club World Cup final
- Carlo Ancelotti equals Alex Ferguson & Pep Guardiola trophy haul after Real Madrid win the CWC
- Real Madrid 2 – San Lorenzo 0: Sergio Ramos & Gareth Bale win the Club World Cup [Highlights]
Arsenal to increase bid for Luis Suarez; Higuain, Fellaini & Cesar all now unlikely [Evening Standard]
Do the London Evening Standard know more than other newspapers in England about Arsenal’s transfer dealings?
Perhaps, as a London based newspaper they should, although this afternoon’s report on an increased bid for Luis Suarez has been bandied about on the internet for a day or so as well.
Simon Johnson in the Evening Standard on Thursday claims “The Gunners had a £30million offer for Suarez rejected by Liverpool last week, but still feel that he can be prised from Anfield this summer.”
Johnson then goes on to rubbish three of the rumours linking three players to Arsenal this summer: Gonzalo Higuain, Marouane Fellaini and Julio Cesar.
On Higuain, Johnson fails to add anything new, saying that Real Madrid are waiting for a big offer (the Spanish press say 30 million euros) and the Argentine striker will meet with Carlo Ancelotti next Monday.
Fellaini meanwhile feels his “dream move” to Arsenal is fading since Arsene Wenger wants to buy two strikers and is unlikely to have enough money left to sign the Belgian midfielder, who has a £23.5m release clause.
Finally, Julio Cesar is in talks with Napoli, which suggests rumours of Arsenal moving for Newcastle keeper Tim Krul could be true.
To sum up, the Evening Standard don’t know a great deal more than anyone else, but seem to suggest Arsene Wenger is being frustrated by the summer transfer window. So far.
- Updated: July 11, 2013