Arsenal striker Joel Campbell won’t be returning to Betis, heavily linked to Olympiakos
- July 25, 2013
Here’s a thought: why doesn’t Arsene Wenger ease his search for a new centre-forward by giving Joel Campbell a chance to shine in the Arsenal first team next season?
Campbell, now 21-years-old, was signed by Arsenal from Costa Rican side Saprissa back in 2011, but every since he penned a five year deal at the Emirates the hugely talented striker has been farmed out around Europe.
Costa Rican international Campbell spent time on loan with Lorient in 2011-12, before being sent to Real Betis last season, where he scored two goals in 28 Liga games.
Whilst Joel Campbell has now been granted a work permit to play in England, it looks like the upcoming season will again see the striker loaned out to another European club with Arsenal unlikely to recall the forward into their first team squad. Which club gets Cambell next year is up for grabs though, as news has now broken that Real Betis won’t be rehiring the forward.
Betis have confirmed they are unable to have Joel Campbell on their books in 2012-13 due to financial constraints.
Betis want to retain Campbell, however the money involved is too high for the Spaniards. Last season Arsenal were paying almost the entirety of Campbell’s pay package, but Betis are now claiming that next season Arsenal are demanding that striker’s host club fork out the cash for his salary. According to reports, Campbell earns 900,000 euros a season.
Within this context, various media outlets in Greece are claiming that Olympiakos are trying to sign Joel Campbell for next season. Olympiakos, who signed Javier Saviola on Wednesday, are looking to boost their squad after winning the league last season to qualify for the Champions League.
- Arsenal keeper Wojciech Szczesny let in two goals on his Roma debut (Video)
- Man United hero Roy Keane claims Arsenal have a ‘selfie culture’ [Telegraph]
- Arsenal flop Nicklas Bendtner wins the Super Cup with an 89th minute leveller & wi...
- Which club is bigger Arsenal or Chelsea? [AFTV v CFC]
- Chelsea captain John Terry admits it will be strange to play against ‘Big Pete...
- Wilshere = Fabregas: Daily Mail compare Arsenal & Chelsea through Little Englander...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi