Arsenal striker Joel Campbell won’t be returning to Betis, heavily linked to Olympiakos
Here’s a thought: why doesn’t Arsene Wenger ease his search for a new centre-forward by giving Joel Campbell a chance to shine in the Arsenal first team next season?
Campbell, now 21-years-old, was signed by Arsenal from Costa Rican side Saprissa back in 2011, but every since he penned a five year deal at the Emirates the hugely talented striker has been farmed out around Europe.
Costa Rican international Campbell spent time on loan with Lorient in 2011-12, before being sent to Real Betis last season, where he scored two goals in 28 Liga games.
Whilst Joel Campbell has now been granted a work permit to play in England, it looks like the upcoming season will again see the striker loaned out to another European club with Arsenal unlikely to recall the forward into their first team squad. Which club gets Cambell next year is up for grabs though, as news has now broken that Real Betis won’t be rehiring the forward.
Betis have confirmed they are unable to have Joel Campbell on their books in 2012-13 due to financial constraints.
Betis want to retain Campbell, however the money involved is too high for the Spaniards. Last season Arsenal were paying almost the entirety of Campbell’s pay package, but Betis are now claiming that next season Arsenal are demanding that striker’s host club fork out the cash for his salary. According to reports, Campbell earns 900,000 euros a season.
Within this context, various media outlets in Greece are claiming that Olympiakos are trying to sign Joel Campbell for next season. Olympiakos, who signed Javier Saviola on Wednesday, are looking to boost their squad after winning the league last season to qualify for the Champions League.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal fans respond to rumours linking Hector Bellerin with move back to Barcelona [Tweets]May 26th, 2016
- Arsenal favourites to sign Alvaro Morata in whopping £53m deal [COPE]May 26th, 2016
- Barcelona target Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin to replace Dani Alves [Mundo Deportivo]May 26th, 2016
- Arsenal star Mesut Ozil feeds a tiger in Dubai, animal paws him in his private parts (Video)May 25th, 2016
- Arsenal’s Joel Campbell pulls off a super touch for Costa Rica (Official Video)March 30th, 2016
- Joel Campbell indicates he may start for Arsenal v Swansea on social mediaMarch 1st, 2016
- Joel Campbell singled out for praise by fans after the Sunderland win (Arsenal Fan TV)January 9th, 2016
- Joel Campbell laid on a stunning assist for Oliver Giroud as Arsenal went 2-up at Olympiakos (Video)December 9th, 2015