Arsenal poised to bid £15m for Borussia Dortmund defensive midfielder Sven Bender [Mail on Sunday]
- May 31, 2014
Amid all the talk of Arsenal going back in for Cesc Fabregas – most reports this evening suggest they won’t – is an intriguing tidbit from the Mail on Sunday.
Sami Mokbel, one of the Mail’s most reliable journalists, reports that: “Arsenal are poised to make a move from Sven Bender.”
With the likes of Mesut Ozil and Santi Cazorla available, as well as Tomas Rosicky, it would not be a huge surprise were Arsenal to stay out of the Premier League race for Cesc Fabregas.
And, whilst Arsenal had a bid rejected last year for Sven Bender’s twin brother Lars, who plays at Bayer Leverkusen, a move for a defensive midfielder is surely a must for the Gunners this summer.
Arsenal came to rely on Mikel Arteta and Mathieu Flamini, in arguably the weakest area of their squad, last season and will surely buy a dominant central midfielder this summer.
Bayern Munich’s Javi Martinez was earlier this summer linked with the Gunners.
Sven Bender, 25, made 19 appearances for Borussia Dortmund last season. He missed out on the Germany World Cup squad due to injury, having not played since February.
Mokbel suggests Arsenal will bid 15 million pounds for Sven Bender but Dortmund are unlikely to have to sell and just signed Serie A’s top scorer from last season Ciro Immobile.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]