Arsenal move to sign Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas [AS front page]
- June 6, 2014
Arsenal want Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas, and Arsene Wenger hopes to sign the Spain custodian before the end of the World Cup, according to the front page splash of Madrid-based paper AS this Friday morning.
AS suggest that the goalkeeper position is a “chronic problem” for Wenger despite the fact Wojciech Szczęsny was hugely impressive last season and shared the Golden Gloves award with Petr Cech.
But, Arsenal are undoubtedly on the look out for a new goalkeeper with Lukasz Fabianski and Emiliano Viviano both having left the club this summer.
Arsenal inquired about Iker Casillas at the beginning of 2013/2014 when it became clear the Spain captain would be rotated in the Real Madrid goal with Diego Lopez.
Casillas has been buoyed by winning Real Madrid’s 10th Champions League in Lisbon and does not want to leave the Bernabeu but Wenger hopes Santi Cazorla and former team mate Mesut Ozil can convince the keeper to head to London.
The Real Madrid goalkeeper has three years left on his current contract with a 180 million euro buyout – another major stumbling block to the move.
But, Casillas’ wages decrease year on year at Real Madrid, so AS think he may be convinced to leave.
Much will also depend on Diego Lopez’s future with Napoli having inquired about Real Madrid’s goalkeeper for La Liga.
Finally, AS add that Wenger will move for Willy Caballero, Hugo Lloris (hugely unlikely surely!) or Stephane Ruffier if he can’t sign Casillas.
We suspect this whole front page spread and article is to get Casillas a new contract at Real Madrid but after debate in recent days it shows that Arsenal do need to strengthen in areas where Cesc Fabregas cannot help a great deal.
- Hector Bellerin speaks about how he felt when he first heard fans sing his name [Video]
- Arsenal full-back Nacho Monreal shows his patriotic side with Ultimate XI choices [Video]
- Barcelona have beaten Chelsea to signing of €35m Arda Turan [TalkSport]
- Former Arsenal & Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka becomes a player manager in India ...
- Arsenal fans react to Lukas Podolski’s €4m move to Galatasaray [Tweets]
- Chelsea and Arsenal battle it out for €20million left back Baba Rahman [Guardian]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi