Arsenal & Man United fans react to the news Vermaelen could be swapped for Cleverley!
Reports in the past few days that Thomas Vermaelen had agreed to move to Manchester United always seemed a little curious.
Surely Arsenal would not sell another captain to a direct Premier League rival?
On Tuesday, the Daily Mirror added another angle to the potential transfer of the Belgian to Old Trafford.
John Cross writes: “Arsene Wenger could look for a part-exchange deal with Manchester United over Thomas Vermaelen. The Arsenal boss has been keeping tabs on Tom Cleverley and also has an interest in Chris Smalling.”
Cleverley has become somewhat of a scapegoat at Manchester United with the midfield at Old Trafford looking increasingly poor with each passing season.
Swap deals are often mooted in transfer windows and never happen – the Samuel Eto’o/Zlatan Ibrahimovic deal between Inter Milan and Barcelona in 2009 is the only one that comes to mind.
So, Arsenal fans can rest easy. Nevertheless, the reaction from Gooners and United fans on Twitter makes for amusing reading.
"Tom Cleverley could join Arsenal from Manchester United as part of a deal to take Thomas Vermaelen to Old Trafford" pic.twitter.com/JZ8EfxZqRl
— Fiyin Dosunmu (@fifidosunmu) June 17, 2014
— Michael (@GoonerNo1) June 16, 2014
— Giroud's Last Fan (@Taz7289) June 16, 2014
Please tell me the Vermaelen / Cleverley swap deal is all paper talk ? Surely we have enough toilet cleaners at The Emirates already.
— 'Big' Steve (@AFCSteve) June 17, 2014
You get Silvestre We get Van Persie You get Cleverley We get Vermaelen In Wenger we trust…. #MUFC
— #MUFC (@LUtdHCity) June 17, 2014
Cleverley would bring much needed scapegoating to the midfield for when Jack is out.
— Kick Arse (@kickarseHD) June 17, 2014
Joke of the Day: Arsenal could land Tom Cleverley as part of a swap deal for Thomas Vermaelen!
— Michael ⚽ Gooner (@MickTheGooner) June 17, 2014
A Cleverley for Vermaelen swap? Will two sets of fans be more underwhelmed by any swap deal ever again after that?
— Scott (@R_o_M) June 16, 2014
Never going to happen but imagine we turned down Cesc to sign Cleverley. #InArsèneWeBanter
— FK (@fkhanage) June 16, 2014
"Sorry Cesc, we're saving that spot for Cleverley." Yeah. Right.
— Andrew Allen (@AAllenSport) June 16, 2014
Just imagine. Fabregas at Chelsea and Cleverley at Arsenal.
— Tom Adams (@tomEurosport) June 16, 2014
Someone's going to do the Cleverley-Vermaelen part-exchange fee joke, aren't they?
— Football Clichés (@FootballCliches) June 16, 2014
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin reveals he could be in Spain Euros squad after Carvajal’s i...May 29th, 2016
- Pots revealed for next season’s CL group stage draw ft. Arsenal & Spurs in lower potsMay 29th, 2016
- N’Golo Kante happy at Leicester ‘for now’, Arsenal continue to be linked [LR...May 28th, 2016
- Arsenal or Man United? Gabon coach confirms Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang exitMay 28th, 2016
- Jose Mourinho wants Rio Ferdinand on his Manchester United coaching staff [Mirror]May 29th, 2016
- Amazing footage of Man United legend Rio Ferdinand watching Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty (Vi...May 29th, 2016
- Man United’s Morgan Schneiderlin posts positive message after leaving France Euro 2016 squadMay 29th, 2016
- Marcus Rashford signs new Manchester United contract [Telegraph]May 29th, 2016
- Liverpool make €10m offer to Barcelona for Thomas Vermaelan [Sport]April 27th, 2016
- Barcelona’s Thomas Vermaelen: “Don’t ever think Arsenal is out” (Video)March 13th, 2016
- Japanese Barcelona fans stay silent as Vermaelen passes before going nuts for Iniesta (Video)December 15th, 2015
- Man United old boy Chicharito accused of punching Barca’s Thomas Vermaelen in the face [Pic...December 10th, 2015