Arsenal & Man United fans react to the news Vermaelen could be swapped for Cleverley!
Reports in the past few days that Thomas Vermaelen had agreed to move to Manchester United always seemed a little curious.
Surely Arsenal would not sell another captain to a direct Premier League rival?
On Tuesday, the Daily Mirror added another angle to the potential transfer of the Belgian to Old Trafford.
John Cross writes: “Arsene Wenger could look for a part-exchange deal with Manchester United over Thomas Vermaelen. The Arsenal boss has been keeping tabs on Tom Cleverley and also has an interest in Chris Smalling.”
Cleverley has become somewhat of a scapegoat at Manchester United with the midfield at Old Trafford looking increasingly poor with each passing season.
Swap deals are often mooted in transfer windows and never happen – the Samuel Eto’o/Zlatan Ibrahimovic deal between Inter Milan and Barcelona in 2009 is the only one that comes to mind.
So, Arsenal fans can rest easy. Nevertheless, the reaction from Gooners and United fans on Twitter makes for amusing reading.
"Tom Cleverley could join Arsenal from Manchester United as part of a deal to take Thomas Vermaelen to Old Trafford" pic.twitter.com/JZ8EfxZqRl
— Fiyin Dosunmu (@fifidosunmu) June 17, 2014
— Michael (@GoonerNo1) June 16, 2014
— Giroud's Last Fan (@Taz7289) June 16, 2014
Please tell me the Vermaelen / Cleverley swap deal is all paper talk ? Surely we have enough toilet cleaners at The Emirates already.
— 'Big' Steve (@AFCSteve) June 17, 2014
You get Silvestre We get Van Persie You get Cleverley We get Vermaelen In Wenger we trust…. #MUFC
— #MUFC (@LUtdHCity) June 17, 2014
Cleverley would bring much needed scapegoating to the midfield for when Jack is out.
— Kick Arse (@kickarseHD) June 17, 2014
Joke of the Day: Arsenal could land Tom Cleverley as part of a swap deal for Thomas Vermaelen!
— Michael ⚽ Gooner (@MickTheGooner) June 17, 2014
A Cleverley for Vermaelen swap? Will two sets of fans be more underwhelmed by any swap deal ever again after that?
— Scott (@R_o_M) June 16, 2014
Never going to happen but imagine we turned down Cesc to sign Cleverley. #InArsèneWeBanter
— FK (@fkhanage) June 16, 2014
"Sorry Cesc, we're saving that spot for Cleverley." Yeah. Right.
— Andrew Allen (@AAllenSport) June 16, 2014
Just imagine. Fabregas at Chelsea and Cleverley at Arsenal.
— Tom Adams (@tomEurosport) June 16, 2014
Someone's going to do the Cleverley-Vermaelen part-exchange fee joke, aren't they?
— Football Clichés (@FootballCliches) June 16, 2014
Watch Live Stream
- Jack Wilshere responds to Jamie Redknapp’s prediction that he won’t return to ArsenalOctober 24, 2016
- Nigerian billionaire Aliko Dangote talks about his Arsenal takeover plans (BBC Audio)October 23, 2016
- Arsenal to rescue Yaya Toure from Man City [Express]October 23, 2016
- Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil & Man United’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic slammed on the BBC (Video)October 23, 2016
- Gary Neville bemoans Man United’s midfield problem despite £200m investmentOctober 24, 2016
- Subdued Birthday wishes for Wayne Rooney after Manchester United’s 4-0 thrashing at ChelseaOctober 24, 2016
- Jose Mourinho’s record after 14 Manchester United games is worse than David Moyes’October 24, 2016
- Manchester United’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic is going through his longest goal drought in 10 yearsOctober 24, 2016
- Arsenal & West Ham battling it out for Thomas Vermaelen [Sport]August 2, 2016
- Liverpool make €10m offer to Barcelona for Thomas Vermaelan [Sport]April 27, 2016
- Barcelona’s Thomas Vermaelen: “Don’t ever think Arsenal is out” (Video)March 13, 2016
- Japanese Barcelona fans stay silent as Vermaelen passes before going nuts for Iniesta (Video)December 15, 2015