Arsenal reportedly agree a €10m fee for Auxerre striker Ntep, who will be loaned back straight away
The noise is getting louder and louder that Arsenal have signed Auxerre striker Paul-Georges Ntep for €10m.
Ntep, a player who few in England will ever have heard of, first hit the headlines on January 11th when he posted a picture on Instagram showing him heading to London on the Eurostar.
Immediately buzz started flying around that Ntep was on his way to talk to Arsenal, and to date, the chatter continues.
Now Get French Football News, backed up by the Independent’s Ed Aarons, indicate that the Gunners are about to land their man.
Get French Football News report “a source at Auxerre TV, the area’s main television station understands that the Arsenal have more-or-less agreed a €10m fee for the signing of Paul Georges Ntep, Auxerre’s star winger. They have also indicated that Ntep is set to be loaned straight back to the club until the end of the season.”
Spoke to Ntep’s agent yesterday and he admitted Arsenal have been watching. £7m a lot for Ligue 2 player but v highly-rated in France #afc
— Ed Aarons (@ed_aarons) January 16, 2014
Ntep has seven goals in 17 Ligue 2 game this campaign.
Several question marks instantly pop up if the rumours prove true, starting with the obvious €10m?! That seems like a massive amount of cash to splash on an unproven attacker, particularly considering Arsene Wenger’s usual thriftiness in the transfer market.
Next, if Ntep is indeed signing in North London, what does that mean for the likes of Yaya Sanogo and Joel Campbell? What was the point in bringing those players to the Emirates in the first place?
UPDATE: Fresh reports are now in saying that the deal has yet to be done.
Auxerre’s president has denied reaching an agreement with #AFC over the transfer of Ntep. They only received one offer: from Rennes [RMC]
— Tom Coast (@sardinetrawler) January 16, 2014
Video evidence of Paul Georges Ntep is below.
Watch Live Stream
- Alexis Sanchez posts gym video on Instagram, out of Arsenal v ReadingOctober 25, 2016
- Adama Traore’s sprint v Arsenal did not break a Premier League recordOctober 25, 2016
- BBC’s David Ornstein on Mesut Ozil & Alexis Sanchez renewal updates after Arsenal’s AGM (Video)October 25, 2016
- Jack Wilshere responds to Jamie Redknapp’s prediction that he won’t return to ArsenalOctober 24, 2016
- Auxerre 0 – PSG 1: Edinson Cavani wraps up a historic French quadruple [Official highlights]May 31, 2015
- Auxerre v PSG: Watch a Live Stream of the Coupe de France final – available in UKMay 28, 2015
- So he’s not going to Arsenal then? Auxerre striker Paul-Georges Ntep spotted at QPR on Saturday [Pictures]January 18, 2014
- Auxerre’s Paul-Georges Ntep (linked with Arsenal) posts Instagram picture heading to London on the EurostarJanuary 11, 2014