Arsenal reportedly agree a €10m fee for Auxerre striker Ntep, who will be loaned back straight away
- January 16, 2014
The noise is getting louder and louder that Arsenal have signed Auxerre striker Paul-Georges Ntep for €10m.
Ntep, a player who few in England will ever have heard of, first hit the headlines on January 11th when he posted a picture on Instagram showing him heading to London on the Eurostar.
Immediately buzz started flying around that Ntep was on his way to talk to Arsenal, and to date, the chatter continues.
Now Get French Football News, backed up by the Independent’s Ed Aarons, indicate that the Gunners are about to land their man.
Get French Football News report “a source at Auxerre TV, the area’s main television station understands that the Arsenal have more-or-less agreed a €10m fee for the signing of Paul Georges Ntep, Auxerre’s star winger. They have also indicated that Ntep is set to be loaned straight back to the club until the end of the season.”
Spoke to Ntep’s agent yesterday and he admitted Arsenal have been watching. £7m a lot for Ligue 2 player but v highly-rated in France #afc
— Ed Aarons (@ed_aarons) January 16, 2014
Ntep has seven goals in 17 Ligue 2 game this campaign.
Several question marks instantly pop up if the rumours prove true, starting with the obvious €10m?! That seems like a massive amount of cash to splash on an unproven attacker, particularly considering Arsene Wenger’s usual thriftiness in the transfer market.
Next, if Ntep is indeed signing in North London, what does that mean for the likes of Yaya Sanogo and Joel Campbell? What was the point in bringing those players to the Emirates in the first place?
UPDATE: Fresh reports are now in saying that the deal has yet to be done.
Auxerre’s president has denied reaching an agreement with #AFC over the transfer of Ntep. They only received one offer: from Rennes [RMC]
— Tom Coast (@sardinetrawler) January 16, 2014
Video evidence of Paul Georges Ntep is below.
- Arsenal’s Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain sets himself goals target this season (Video)
- Francis Coquelin celebrated The Ox’s goal v Chelsea with manic relish (Vine)
- Wenger plays dumb over Mourinho snub, talks about managers respecting each other…...
- Arsene Wenger has nostalgic banter with his former Arsenal player Ian Wright (Video)
- Arsenal boss Wenger smirks at Mourinho’s suggestion that Chelsea were the better ...
- Chelsea fan tells Arsenal to enjoy Community Shield, last trophy they’ll win for ...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi