Arsenal prepare for life after Wenger with Martinez (Everton), Klopp (BVB) & Steve Bould all options [Telegraph]
- March 25, 2014
Rumours that Arsene Wenger will not continue as Arsenal manager beyond this season as fuelled by the Telegraph’s deputy football correspondent Jeremy Wilson on Tuesday in an article titled “Arsenal begin process of identifying eventual successor to Arsene Wenger”.
Wenger’s current deal at Arsenal expires at the end of the season, and the French manager has yet to agree new terms with the Gunners.
With reports circling that Arsenal have called a media blackout following their 6-0 defeat at Chelsea last weekend, many are suggesting that Wenger is set to walk out of the Emirates at the close of the campaign.
With that as the background, the Telegraph now claim the following:
Arsene Wenger has agreed in principle to extend his Arsenal contract beyond the end of this season but the club have also now begun making contingency plans for when their longest-serving manager leaves.
Wenger accepts that his future at Arsenal is now “short term” and the club have already been giving thought to life after the 64-year-old, whenever that might be.
Everton manager Roberto Martinez and Borussia Dortmund’s Jürgen Klopp would be the leading candidates, although Brendan Rodgers’ progress at Liverpool is much admired and Steve Bould would be regarded as a genuine internal option.
- Wenger ‘happy’ with Arsenal’s summer spending, questions Man United’s...
- Man City & Man United top transfer window net spend Premier League table [Picture]
- #WengerOut: Arsenal fan Piers Morgan blasts Arsene Wenger for lack of spending (Audio)
- Arsenal Supporters’ Trust calls for inquiry into club’s transfer strategy [...
- Martin Keown: Arsenal needed to bring in a striker (video)
- Thierry Henry analyses Arsenal’s lack of signings, concedes Gunners will not win ...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...