- Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho: ‘I enjoy the busy period’ [Video]
- Eliaquim Mangala shows off his silky skills with rainbow flicks at Manchester City training [Video]
- Clarke Carlisle: ‘Standing down would be the honourable thing for Dave Whelan to do’ [Video]
- Skills! PSG’s Javier Pastore pulls off (effective!) Rainbow Flick v Metz [Vine]
- Leo Messi unhappy that Barcelona haven’t lobbied for him to win Ballon D’Or [MARCA]
Arsenal & Chelsea make enquiries for Liverpool striker Luis Suarez [Sunday Mirror]
It must be easy writing for a Sunday newspaper – you simply wait for the biggest stories of the week gone by, package them together and hopefully sell some copies.
On Wednesday night, the bookies slashed odds on Luis Suarez joining Arsenal and on Thursday evening reports from Spain suggested Chelsea had made a move for the Liverpool striker.
Despite the fact Luis Suarez has vociferously said how much he dislikes the English media and appears set on a move to Real Madrid, Arsenal and Chelsea could well be fighting it out for the Uruguayan if the Sunday Mirror is to be believed.
A “source” is quoted by Matt Law in the Sunday Mirror: “Apart from Higuain, Arsenal have enquired about two strikers based in the North West, Wayne Rooney and Luis Suarez. Chelsea are also interested.”
Much of the rest of the article concentrates on Wayne Rooney but from the rumours flying it feels like Chelsea could well be in pole position for Suarez.
It is questionable whether Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger would pay the Uruguayan the right wages to sign on at the Emirates, which wouldn’t be a problem for Chelsea.
The Blues need a striker to finish off the approach play from midfielders Oscar, Juan Mata and Eden Hazard and Jose Mourinho’s side look like missing out on Edinson Cavani to PSG.
Nevertheless, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers seem hopeful of keeping Suarez at Anfield and expect him to join up with them on their pre-season tour of Australia later this month.
- Updated: July 6, 2013