Arsenal are set to bid £5m for Liverpool goalie Pepe Reina [Mail on Sunday]
- June 14, 2014
The big football story on the front page of the Mail on Sunday’s sport page is that Arsenal are going to bid £5m for Liverpool goalie Pepe Reina.
In the past few days it’s become clear that Reina, who spent last season on loan at Napoli, would be unable to stay on in Naples next season.
Former Liverpool manager, and current Napoli boss, Rafa Benitez has explained:
He’s under contract with Liverpool for two more years, he returns there to compete for the starting spot: we can’t afford his wages. In Serie A we don’t pay wages as high as in the Premier League.
The big question would be though, if Reina returns to Anfield, would he get in the team ahead of Simon Mignolet?
With that question clearly an issue, the Mail on Sunday swoop in this weekend to claim that Arsenal will bid for the Spanish international keeper.
Perhaps the biggest black mark against the story is that the Mail report Reina as a “second choice” keeper for Arsenal after the departure of Lukasz Fabianski. The general feeling is that the Spaniard wants first team football, and not just a place on the bench.
Reina, 31, spent the 2013-14 campaign on loan at Napoi playing 29 games.
- Ex-Arsenal man Thomas Vermaelen saves Barcelona’s bacon in La Liga (Video & ...
- Arsene Wenger post Newcastle 0 – Arsenal 1: We will turn it round at home (video)
- ITK Arsenal fan reckons Wenger has Edinson Cavani up his sleeve for Deadline Day (Video)
- Aleksandar Mitrović’s pre-Arsenal interview is quite funny in retrospect (Video)
- Wenger post-Newcastle 0 – Arsenal 1: optimistic of making late transfer deal (Video)
- Arsenal fans react to Mesut Ozil’s knee injury, Koscielny’s return (Best Tw...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...