Arsenal are set to bid £5m for Liverpool goalie Pepe Reina [Mail on Sunday]
- June 14, 2014
The big football story on the front page of the Mail on Sunday’s sport page is that Arsenal are going to bid £5m for Liverpool goalie Pepe Reina.
In the past few days it’s become clear that Reina, who spent last season on loan at Napoli, would be unable to stay on in Naples next season.
Former Liverpool manager, and current Napoli boss, Rafa Benitez has explained:
He’s under contract with Liverpool for two more years, he returns there to compete for the starting spot: we can’t afford his wages. In Serie A we don’t pay wages as high as in the Premier League.
The big question would be though, if Reina returns to Anfield, would he get in the team ahead of Simon Mignolet?
With that question clearly an issue, the Mail on Sunday swoop in this weekend to claim that Arsenal will bid for the Spanish international keeper.
Perhaps the biggest black mark against the story is that the Mail report Reina as a “second choice” keeper for Arsenal after the departure of Lukasz Fabianski. The general feeling is that the Spaniard wants first team football, and not just a place on the bench.
Reina, 31, spent the 2013-14 campaign on loan at Napoi playing 29 games.
- Raheem Sterling tops list of 20 most valuable youngsters ft. Man United & Arsenal ...
- No Sh*t Sherlock: Sky Sports rank Fergie 1st, Wenger 2nd in Best PL Manager study [Chart]
- Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil picks his Ultimate XI ft. 7 Real Madrid teammates & Ang...
- Ronald Koeman admits that Man United & Arsenal target Morgan Schneiderlin missed t...
- William Carvalho isn’t joining Arsenal, as Sporting boss Jorge Jesus says midfiel...
- Arsenal begin talks to sign Barcelona winger Pedro [Independent]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi