Arsenal are set to bid £5m for Liverpool goalie Pepe Reina [Mail on Sunday]
- June 14, 2014
The big football story on the front page of the Mail on Sunday’s sport page is that Arsenal are going to bid £5m for Liverpool goalie Pepe Reina.
In the past few days it’s become clear that Reina, who spent last season on loan at Napoli, would be unable to stay on in Naples next season.
Former Liverpool manager, and current Napoli boss, Rafa Benitez has explained:
He’s under contract with Liverpool for two more years, he returns there to compete for the starting spot: we can’t afford his wages. In Serie A we don’t pay wages as high as in the Premier League.
The big question would be though, if Reina returns to Anfield, would he get in the team ahead of Simon Mignolet?
With that question clearly an issue, the Mail on Sunday swoop in this weekend to claim that Arsenal will bid for the Spanish international keeper.
Perhaps the biggest black mark against the story is that the Mail report Reina as a “second choice” keeper for Arsenal after the departure of Lukasz Fabianski. The general feeling is that the Spaniard wants first team football, and not just a place on the bench.
Reina, 31, spent the 2013-14 campaign on loan at Napoi playing 29 games.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...