- Jermain Defoe’s dream five-a-side team features Luka Modric and Steven Gerrard [Video]
- Man United target Aymeric Laporte wants move but Bilbao won’t sell for less than £31m buy-out clause
- Real Madrid unveil new signing Lucas Silva to the media [Video]
- Victor Valdes makes his first Man United appearance for the U21s vs Liverpool U21s [Vine]
- Robin van Persie: Scoring five goals against Cambridge isn’t easy but we must make our own luck
Arsenal are closing in on signing Real Madrid goalie Iker Casillas [SPORT]
The front page of Spanish daily SPORT on Thursday reports that Arsenal are closing in on signing Iker Casillas.
Links between the Gunners and the Real Madrid goalie have been swirling about for some time, with Casillas now deemed surplus to requirements at the Santiago Bernabeu after the arrival of Keylor Navas.
Already locked in a battle with Diego Lopez for the #1 jersey in Madrid, the groundswell of opinion now suggests Casillas is set to leave Los Blancos after 15 years of service to the club.
According to SPORT, “Arsenal have sent him a proposal that he can hardly refuse”, based on the assumption that Casillas is now third choice for Real.
Unfortunately the article in SPORT fails to mention that Arsenal are tipped to land Nice goalie David Ospina this summer, after news broke this week that the Colombian goalie had agreed a £3m deal to move from Nice to the Emirates.
With Wojciech Szczesny also at the club, do Arsenal really need yet another keeper like Casillas?
See the full front page splash of SPORT on Thursday below.
- Updated: July 24, 2014