Arsenal and Chelsea lead the chase for Anji striker Samuel Eto’o [El Confidencial]
- August 8, 2013
You knew stories like this were going to surface as soon as news broke on Tuesday night that the lavish spending days at Russian club Anji Makhachkala were over.
To recap, it’s been a dramatic 48 hours for Anji as the club have begun the process of “reformatting” in which former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen was sacked after 16 days, the annual budget has been slashed to $50-70m, down from their previous outlay of $180m a season, and all their top players have been put up for sale.
Within that context, Cameroonian legend Samuel Eto’o, reportedly on €20 million a year after tax, is heading for the exit door as soon as a buyer can be found.
While Napoli have also been linked to Eto’o, Spanish news agency El Confidencial report on Thursday that Arsenal and Chelsea are the frontrunners for the former Barcelona striker’s signature.
Unfortunately the article in El Confidencial fails to carry any quotes or supporting evidence to the claims that the Gunners and the Pensioners are trying to sign Eto’o, however the suggestion is that Chelsea may have the edge over their London rivals as Jose Mourinho managed the forward during his time at Inter Milan.
The four-time African Player of the Year has fired in goals throughout his career and his time in Dagestan has been no exception.
The 32-year-old has already scored twice in the opening four games of the 2013-14 season, while last campaign Eto’o scored 18 goals in 29 games for both club and country.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...