Arjen Robben disobeyed Bayern boss Pep Guardiola by refusing to take a penalty against Viktoria Plzen
In the end it was a comfortable night for Bayern Munich, but the reigning Champions League holders had to wait until the 25th minute to breach Viktoria Plzen’s backline from the penalty spot.
Bayern’s spot-kick, however, was not completely straightforward.
After Robben was hacked down by Czech defender Roman Hubník to earn Munich a penalty, Bayern boss Pep Guardiola barked orders from the sideline for the Dutchman to take the penalty himself.
Robben, though, was unprepared to shoot from the spot, and after a brief discussion with Rafinha and Franck Ribery, the Frenchman converted the penalty.
Ribery later told Sky Germany that Robben is pissed with his manager for an incident which happened in last week’s Bundesliga match against Mainz, when Pep stopped the Dutchman taking a penalty so that Thomas Muller could score instead.
Ribery said: “The players wanted him to shoot, but he is still a little mad because of Saturday.”
As for Pep, he told reporters: “Yes, Robben wanted to take it. Why he did not take it, I don’t know. I like players who want to take penalties. Arjen has a big personality. But the team know why Muller was the one who took it on Saturday.”
Robben was far less chatty on the subject, gassing: “I don’t want to talk about it. The case is closed and every word about it is a word too much. The most important thing for me is the support of my team-mates.”
Watch Arjen Robben disobey Bayern boss Pep Guardiola below.
Watch Live Stream
- Holland suffer injury blow: Arjen Robben ruled out of both WC QualifiersOctober 6, 2016
- Arjen Robben opens up about his injury struggles at Bayern Munich (Video)September 16, 2016
- Bayern fans display a banner attacking Arjen Robben for his son training with 1860 MunichAugust 29, 2016
- Bayern’s Arjen Robben is out for 6 weeks with adductor injuryJuly 17, 2016
- Bayern boss Carlo Ancelotti explains why he doesn’t care that Xabi Alonso is slow (Video)October 21, 2016
- Jerome Boateng couldn’t eat for two days after Bayern’s Champions League final loss to ChelseaOctober 19, 2016
- Skills: Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery humiliated by a fan (Video)October 13, 2016
- Bayern Munich stars dominate 2016 Golden Boy votes [France Football]October 13, 2016
- Pep Guardiola brings up his amazing trophy haul after style of play is questioned (Video)October 22, 2016
- The Mirror completely twist Pep Guardiola’s words about Sergio Aguero (Backpage & Video)October 21, 2016
- Pep Guardiola’s decision to drop Sergio Aguero at Barça wasn’t purely tactical [Graham Hunter]October 21, 2016
- Pep Guardiola reacts to accusations he’s forcing Aguero and Kompany out of Man City (Video)October 21, 2016