Arjen Robben disobeyed Bayern boss Pep Guardiola by refusing to take a penalty against Viktoria Plzen
- October 24, 2013
In the end it was a comfortable night for Bayern Munich, but the reigning Champions League holders had to wait until the 25th minute to breach Viktoria Plzen’s backline from the penalty spot.
Bayern’s spot-kick, however, was not completely straightforward.
After Robben was hacked down by Czech defender Roman Hubník to earn Munich a penalty, Bayern boss Pep Guardiola barked orders from the sideline for the Dutchman to take the penalty himself.
Robben, though, was unprepared to shoot from the spot, and after a brief discussion with Rafinha and Franck Ribery, the Frenchman converted the penalty.
Ribery later told Sky Germany that Robben is pissed with his manager for an incident which happened in last week’s Bundesliga match against Mainz, when Pep stopped the Dutchman taking a penalty so that Thomas Muller could score instead.
Ribery said: “The players wanted him to shoot, but he is still a little mad because of Saturday.”
As for Pep, he told reporters: “Yes, Robben wanted to take it. Why he did not take it, I don’t know. I like players who want to take penalties. Arjen has a big personality. But the team know why Muller was the one who took it on Saturday.”
Robben was far less chatty on the subject, gassing: “I don’t want to talk about it. The case is closed and every word about it is a word too much. The most important thing for me is the support of my team-mates.”
Watch Arjen Robben disobey Bayern boss Pep Guardiola below.
- Arjen Robben pulls out of Bayern Munich’s China tour with a muscle problem [Tweets]
- Arjen Robben answers fan questions about his future, injuries and teammates [Video]
- BBC duped by a fake report linking Bayern’s Thomas Muller & Arjen Robben to ...
- Bayern Munich stars feature in hilarious new club advert ft. Robben & Muller [Video]
- Bayern Munich plan €100 million bid for Chelsea star Eden Hazard [SportNet]
- Leo Messi, Mesut Ozil and a host of other stars feature in new Adidas advert [Video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi