Arjen Robben disobeyed Bayern boss Pep Guardiola by refusing to take a penalty against Viktoria Plzen
In the end it was a comfortable night for Bayern Munich, but the reigning Champions League holders had to wait until the 25th minute to breach Viktoria Plzen’s backline from the penalty spot.
Bayern’s spot-kick, however, was not completely straightforward.
After Robben was hacked down by Czech defender Roman Hubník to earn Munich a penalty, Bayern boss Pep Guardiola barked orders from the sideline for the Dutchman to take the penalty himself.
Robben, though, was unprepared to shoot from the spot, and after a brief discussion with Rafinha and Franck Ribery, the Frenchman converted the penalty.
Ribery later told Sky Germany that Robben is pissed with his manager for an incident which happened in last week’s Bundesliga match against Mainz, when Pep stopped the Dutchman taking a penalty so that Thomas Muller could score instead.
Ribery said: “The players wanted him to shoot, but he is still a little mad because of Saturday.”
As for Pep, he told reporters: “Yes, Robben wanted to take it. Why he did not take it, I don’t know. I like players who want to take penalties. Arjen has a big personality. But the team know why Muller was the one who took it on Saturday.”
Robben was far less chatty on the subject, gassing: “I don’t want to talk about it. The case is closed and every word about it is a word too much. The most important thing for me is the support of my team-mates.”
Watch Arjen Robben disobey Bayern boss Pep Guardiola below.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal tried to sign Antoine Griezmann & Robert Lewandowski this summer [Sun]August 28, 2016
- Robert Lewandowski sends cheeky message to Pierre-Emerick AubameyangAugust 27, 2016
- Jose Mourinho trolls Bayern after saying Schweinsteiger first-team return is ‘not impossible’ (Video)August 26, 2016
- Bayern Munich stars Arturo Vidal & Xabi Alonso Vs 40 kids (Video)August 24, 2016
- Pep Guardiola’s supportive text message to Raheem Sterling during his tough Euro 2016August 28, 2016
- Manchester City boss does a Wenger when asked about Sergio Aguero’s elbow (Video)August 28, 2016
- Pep Guardiola says Joe Hart is not even guaranteed to be Man City’s Number 2 Keeper [Papers]August 26, 2016
- Joe Hart starts as captain for Man City but poster of him outside Etihad has vanishedAugust 24, 2016