- Real Madrid set to pass on option to sign Chicharito as they have Sergio Aguero in their sights [Fichajes]
- Jose Mourinho: Obviously Lionel Messi is not coming to Chelsea
- Exquisite! Meshal Theyab hits wonderful dipping volley in Kuwaiti Premier League game [Video]
- Manchester City give up pursuit of Isco as he is quite happy at Real Madrid [Marca]
- Arsenal negotiating with Palermo to lower asking price for £31m-rated Paulo Dybala [Fichajes]
Argentina World Cup Squad announced: Carlos Tevez left out for ex-Wigan striker Franco Di Santo
Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella has achieved the feat of outdoing Didier Deschamps for controversial squad calls, by leaving out Juventus striker Carlos Tevez.
For former Chelsea (o goals), Blackburn and Wigan striker Franco Di Santo.
There’ve been protests on the streets of Buenos Aires to have ‘El Pibe del Pueblo’ Carlitos reinstated; had Sabella had a decent alternative, perhaps he would have gotten away with it, but with Di Santo in Tevez’s place, there’s simply no case to be made here.
How can Sabella justify this on purely football terms? There’s evidently more to it than that.
Otherwise, it’s a squad that largely names itself, with Man City’s Zabaleta and Demichelis featuring in defence.
Goalkeepers: Romero, Andújar, Orion
Defenders: F.Fernández, L.López, Campagnaro, Zabaleta, Garay, Rojo, Basanta, Otamendi, Demichelis, Mercado
Midfielders: Gago, Banega, Mascherano, Alvarez, Biglia, Pérez, Rinaudo, Maxi Rodríguez, Sosa, Di María, Fernandez
Forwards: Messi, Aguero, Higuaín, Lavezzi, Palacio, Di Santo.
- Updated: May 13, 2014