Argentina World Cup Squad announced: Carlos Tevez left out for ex-Wigan striker Franco Di Santo
- May 13, 2014
Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella has achieved the feat of outdoing Didier Deschamps for controversial squad calls, by leaving out Juventus striker Carlos Tevez.
For former Chelsea (o goals), Blackburn and Wigan striker Franco Di Santo.
There’ve been protests on the streets of Buenos Aires to have ‘El Pibe del Pueblo’ Carlitos reinstated; had Sabella had a decent alternative, perhaps he would have gotten away with it, but with Di Santo in Tevez’s place, there’s simply no case to be made here.
How can Sabella justify this on purely football terms? There’s evidently more to it than that.
Otherwise, it’s a squad that largely names itself, with Man City’s Zabaleta and Demichelis featuring in defence.
Goalkeepers: Romero, Andújar, Orion
Defenders: F.Fernández, L.López, Campagnaro, Zabaleta, Garay, Rojo, Basanta, Otamendi, Demichelis, Mercado
Midfielders: Gago, Banega, Mascherano, Alvarez, Biglia, Pérez, Rinaudo, Maxi Rodríguez, Sosa, Di María, Fernandez
Forwards: Messi, Aguero, Higuaín, Lavezzi, Palacio, Di Santo.
- Gigantic Copa America Odds! Argentina 9/1 to win, Chile 16/1!!!
- Al Pacino sends a message of support to the Argentina team before the Copa America fina...
- Leo Messi orders manager Tata Martino to make substitutions during Copa America semi v ...
- Chilean satirical magazine The Clinic use E.T. to threaten Leo Messi ahead of the Copa ...
- Chile v Argentina: Watch a Live Stream of the Copa America final – available in UK
- Lionel Messi found Argentina’s penalty shoot-out win over Colombia hard to watch ...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi