Another challenger to Lionel Messi! Flamengo say Zico scored 89 goals in 1979
- December 13, 2012
First we had Godfrey “Ucar” Chitalu scoring 107 goals in a year with a claim from Zambia earlier this week, now Flamengo have challenged the new (and ongoing) record of Lionel Messi, who has so far scored 88 goals in 2012.
The Rio giants say that former Brazil captain Zico scored 89 goals in 1979.
Bruno Lucena, head of Flamengo’s research and statistics department, told Lance: “We are upset. Messi still hasn’t passed the milestone.”
According to Lucena, Zico scored 81 goals for Flamengo in 1979, plus another seven for Brazil and one in a friendly between Argentina and a Rest of the World XI.
Incredibly, Zico missed two months in September and November due to injury, with Lucena suggesting he would have scored 100 goals had he stayed injury free.
Zico’s awesome calendar year included five hat-tricks, a four goal haul and the unbelievable statistic that he claimed six goals in a game on two occasions.
A video has emerged claiming to be all 89 Zico goals in 1979. To be honest, to us, it just looks like a selection of the Brazilian legend’s goals!
And, with three games to go, it would be no surprise if Lionel Messi surpasses Zico’s record in the next few weeks.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”277534″]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi