- Liverpool target Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph as Steven Gerrard replacement [Mirror]
- Eden Hazard agrees £52m Chelsea deal taking him through to 2020 [Sun]
- FC United of Manchester sing songs for Eric Cantona and The Busby Babes [Video]
- Jose Mourinho tells Talksport he was ‘inches away’ from signing Thierry Henry – for Barça!
- Spurs’ Emmanuel Adebayor posts tribute to Thierry Henry with picture of pair from Arsenal days
And then they went mental: Petrolul’s amazing 95th minute win at Vitesse in the Europa League
On their debut outing in the Europa League, Romanian outfit Petrolul pulled off an amazing win at Vitesse on Thursday night.
Petrolul claimed a surprise 3-2 aggregate win over their Dutch opponents, snatching victory in epic style with the last kick of the game.
In the fourth minute of injury time the Romanians had one last chance to win the match when they had a free-kick 22-yards from goal. The players aggressively jostled each other in the run up to the set-play, leading to one player getting booked.
And then came the delivery.
After the Petrolul players cleverly opened a route to goal through the wall by their canny positioning in Vitesse’s defensive line, Gheorghe Grozav cracked home a sweet free-kick into the far corner. That sparked bedlam.
As the Romanian commentator shrieked with enjoyment, the referee blew the final whistle and the Petrolul players and management celebrated like they’d just won the trophy.
As for the Vitesse players, some of them looked like this moment was the worst thing to have befallen them in their careers.
Watch Petrolul’s amazing 95th minute victory at Vitesse in the Europa League below.
- Updated: August 9, 2013