Analysis: Marcos Rojo may struggle defensively at Manchester United [BBC 5 Live]
- August 20, 2014
Tim Vickery, the esteemed South American-based reporter, spoke the the BBC 5 Live radio station on Tuesday to analyse Manchester United’s impending capture of Marcos Rojo from Sporting Lisbon.
Leaving aside the rumoured transfer fee of 16 million pounds, Tim Vickery expressed his surprise at the deal, particularly considering that Rojo was deemed a weakness in the Argentina national team before the World Cup started.
Vickery explained that Rojo’s major plus point seems to be his versatility, with the player having been converted into a left-back after initially beginning his career in a more attacking wing-back role. Rojo is also able to play at centre-back.
Overall, Vickery believes that Rojo could be a natural fit for the left-sided position as part of a back-three defensive unit at Old Trafford this season.
If true, that would mean that Luke Shaw’s position in the United team may not be under threat, as is often thought of in discussions over the signing of Rojo.
Finally, it’s also worth noting Vickery’s opinion that Rojo may struggle to adapt defensively into the Premier League.
Grab a £50 Free Bet!
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get a 100% Bonus up to £50 Free!
Open a new account with Betway & Get a Welcome bonus Of Up To £50 Free!
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...