Amazônia Arena groundsmen are spraypainting pitch green in Manaus for England v Italy [Pictures]
The Amazonia Arean in Manaus, the heart of the Brazilian rain forest, has already gained infamy before a ball’s even been kicked on its pitch at the World Cup.
Never mind the scandalous cost ($290m), the more pressing issue right now is the state of the pitch, which resembles a cabbage patch just 2 days before its grand unveiling before the world, to host England v Italy.
So the groundsmen have come up with an ingenious solution: they’ve decided to spray paint the pitch green, which they hope will mask the patchy brown, at least for 90 minutes.
Brazil last hosted the World Cup in 1950; even back then, this would have probably been deemed a pretty primitive measure!
Watch Live Stream
- You have to feel sorry for Big Sam Allardyce getting England sack after Scott McGarvey’s reveleationsOctober 13, 2016
- Chelsea’s Gary Cahill gets destroyed by Henry Winter on the BBC (Video)October 12, 2016
- Jesse Lingard clarifies altercation in Marcus Rashford bromance post [Instagram]October 12, 2016
- It’s Not The Manager: Matt Le Tissier hits the nail on the head re England’s malaiseOctober 12, 2016
- Crucial: Italy’s Gianluigi Buffon made a stunning save at 2-1 down v Macedonia (Video)October 10, 2016
- Macedonia 2 – Italy 3: Ciro Immobile is the hero (Official Highlights)October 10, 2016
- Italy coach Giampiero Ventura explains decision to banish Graziano Pelle (Video)October 9, 2016
- Sergio Ramos gives away penalty v Italy, lashes out at criticism from fans [Marca]October 7, 2016