Amazônia Arena groundsmen are spraypainting pitch green in Manaus for England v Italy [Pictures]
- June 12, 2014
The Amazonia Arean in Manaus, the heart of the Brazilian rain forest, has already gained infamy before a ball’s even been kicked on its pitch at the World Cup.
Never mind the scandalous cost ($290m), the more pressing issue right now is the state of the pitch, which resembles a cabbage patch just 2 days before its grand unveiling before the world, to host England v Italy.
So the groundsmen have come up with an ingenious solution: they’ve decided to spray paint the pitch green, which they hope will mask the patchy brown, at least for 90 minutes.
Brazil last hosted the World Cup in 1950; even back then, this would have probably been deemed a pretty primitive measure!
- Swansea’s Jonjo Shelvey named in England Squad
- “Eternal friend”: Diego Maradona posts about re-uniting with England-Argent...
- Leaked: England’s 2015-16 blue on blue away kit is ugly [Pictures]
- David Moyes thinks Phil Neville has what it takes to become England manager
- England get Scotland in 2018 World Cup Qualifying, here’s all the groups
- Man City’s Natasha Flint (18) scores 50 yard wondergoal for England U19s [Video]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...