Amazônia Arena groundsmen are spraypainting pitch green in Manaus for England v Italy [Pictures]
The Amazonia Arean in Manaus, the heart of the Brazilian rain forest, has already gained infamy before a ball’s even been kicked on its pitch at the World Cup.
Never mind the scandalous cost ($290m), the more pressing issue right now is the state of the pitch, which resembles a cabbage patch just 2 days before its grand unveiling before the world, to host England v Italy.
So the groundsmen have come up with an ingenious solution: they’ve decided to spray paint the pitch green, which they hope will mask the patchy brown, at least for 90 minutes.
Brazil last hosted the World Cup in 1950; even back then, this would have probably been deemed a pretty primitive measure!
Watch Live Stream
- The FA open investigation into England manager Sam Allardyce (Video)September 26, 2016
- Best jokes about Sam Allardyce after England boss is exposed by undercover reporters [Tweets]September 26, 2016
- Sam Allardyce in big trouble after being filmed advising agents how to get around FA rulesSeptember 26, 2016
- Joey Barton takes aim at Sam Allardyce, claims he would be a better England boss [Quotes]September 20, 2016
- Arab media say Gigi Buffon shouted ‘free Palestine’ v Israel. But there’s a problem. It’s BSSeptember 8, 2016
- Israel 1 – Italy 3 Match report: Azzurri get off to a winning startSeptember 5, 2016
- Italian fans begin to boo French national anthem before Buffon intervenes (Video)September 2, 2016
- Anthony Martial scores for France against Italy thanks to brilliant Paul Pogba assist (Video)September 1, 2016