Amazônia Arena groundsmen are spraypainting pitch green in Manaus for England v Italy [Pictures]
The Amazonia Arean in Manaus, the heart of the Brazilian rain forest, has already gained infamy before a ball’s even been kicked on its pitch at the World Cup.
Never mind the scandalous cost ($290m), the more pressing issue right now is the state of the pitch, which resembles a cabbage patch just 2 days before its grand unveiling before the world, to host England v Italy.
So the groundsmen have come up with an ingenious solution: they’ve decided to spray paint the pitch green, which they hope will mask the patchy brown, at least for 90 minutes.
Brazil last hosted the World Cup in 1950; even back then, this would have probably been deemed a pretty primitive measure!
Watch Live Stream
- Should Man United’s Wayne Rooney remain England’s captain? (BBC Video)August 23, 2016
- Best of the Bemused Twitter Reaction to James Milner’s retirement from England dutyAugust 5, 2016
- Big Sam Allardyce gets Jermain Defoe’s height completely wrong at England press conference (Video)July 25, 2016
- Gary Neville tries to explain England’s Euro 2016 exit to Iceland [Sunday Times]July 24, 2016
- Andrea Pirlo frustated by Mario Balotelli’s wasted talent [Mirror]July 19, 2016
- Simone Zaza’s girlfriend Chiara Biasi responds to penalty joke with awesome TweetJuly 6, 2016
- Vicky Varga knew Graziano Pelle would miss his penalty v Germany (Video)July 5, 2016
- Simone Zaza writes lengthy apology on Instagram after Italy penalty miss v GermanyJuly 4, 2016