- Leo Messi writes tribute for ex Arsenal & Barcelona forward Thierry Henry on Facebook
- Brendan Rodgers praises Raheem Sterling & says Liverpool don’t have world class forwards [Video]
- Tottenham fans sing about Wembley after beating Newcastle 4-0 in QF [Video]
- Southampton preparing January move for Dutch Galatasaray star Wesley Sneijder [Mirror]
- Roy Keane confronted ex-Man United man Tom Cleverley over Aston Villa bust-up exit rumours [Sun]
American Hero: Landon Donovan becomes 1st US player to reach half-century with 51st goal v Guatemala
Landon Donovan is as American as Macaroni and Cheese, Monday Night Football, and Hooters.
Revered Stateside for his great American pride as much as his play play on the pitch, Donovan is now a true legend of US soccer after scoring his 50th and 51st international goals against Guatemala on Friday night, becoming the player from the ‘USMNT’ to reach the half century in the process.
Donovan reached the half-century milestone from the spot, cheekily tapping it straight down the middle, with an almost mini-Panenka, a la Neeskens.
The outpouring of joy and congratulations from his team mates showed just how high esteem Donovan is held within Team USA.
His second, to make it 51, was a classic striker’s finish.
Watch All-American Hero Landon Donovan reach the half-century milestone for the US on the clips below.
- Updated: July 6, 2013