American Hero: Landon Donovan becomes 1st US player to reach half-century with 51st goal v Guatemala
- July 6, 2013
Landon Donovan is as American as Macaroni and Cheese, Monday Night Football, and Hooters.
Revered Stateside for his great American pride as much as his play play on the pitch, Donovan is now a true legend of US soccer after scoring his 50th and 51st international goals against Guatemala on Friday night, becoming the player from the ‘USMNT’ to reach the half century in the process.
Donovan reached the half-century milestone from the spot, cheekily tapping it straight down the middle, with an almost mini-Panenka, a la Neeskens.
The outpouring of joy and congratulations from his team mates showed just how high esteem Donovan is held within Team USA.
His second, to make it 51, was a classic striker’s finish.
Watch All-American Hero Landon Donovan reach the half-century milestone for the US on the clips below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi