Ajax screwed themselves on Luis Suarez’s move from Liverpool to Barcelona, receive a mere €2m windfall [Telegraaf]
- July 12, 2014
It seemed as though everyone was a winner with the Suarez deal from Liverpool to Barcelona: the player himself, and the respective clubs, the former making a circa 50m Euro profit, the latter landing one of the best players in the world.
But after having their hopes built up, Ajax lose out, as reported by Dutch paper De Telegraaf.
And it’s through no fault of Liverpool or Barcelona; nay, they entirely screwed themselves, according to De Telegraaf.
The sporting director at the time, Rik van den Boog, had the right to negotiate for up to 10% of Suarez’s eventual sell-on from Liverpool, when thrashing out Suarez’s move from Ajax back in 2011.
That would have earned them around a cool €9m windfall from Suarez’s €75m + add-ons move to Barcelona, but instead, due to van den Boog’s failure to get the right deal, they’re set to earn a paltry €2m from the deal.
De Telegraaf put this down to the management crisis Ajax were going through at the time; in haste to get the deal done as quickly as possible, the Amsterdam club rushed through the sale, and overlooked the windfall aspect.
A costly error for an Eredivisie club in this day and age…
- Manchester United could tie up signing of Jasper Cillessen from Ajax this week [Telegraph]
- Ajax release official video of Barcelona’s Luis Suarez pre Champions League final...
- AC Milan sent a classy fax to Ajax after the Champions League final on this day 20 year...
- Man United want to buy Ajax keeper Jasper Cillessen for €25m [De Telegraaf]
- Ajax youngsters all celebrate their goals with the Cristiano Ronaldo celebration [Video]
- Chelsea considering bid for Ajax winger Anwar El Ghazi [Mirror]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi