After a bid for QPR’s Cesar collapsed, Napoli move for Liverpool’s Reina [Tony Barrett]
- July 19, 2013
Napoli have made a move for Pepe Reina.
— Tony Barrett (@TonyBarretTimes) July 18, 2013
Tony Barrett, Liverpool’s in-the-know journalist for The Times, issued a Tweet on Thursday night claiming that Napoli have made a move for Reds’ keeper Pepe Reina.
Napoli are well-known to be in the market for a new goalie this summer, and until recently it had seemed that Brazilian international Julio Cesar would be leaving QPR for San Paolo. Now, however, the Cesar deal appears to be dead in the water, and attentions have turned to Liverpool’s Spanish keeper.
Napoli’s pursuit for Cesar seemed to receive it’s death-knell after Harry Redknapp told reporters this week:
To send him on loan for a year and take him back after that is absolutely pointless because he’s still on massive wages. He is in the prime of his career, so now is the time to move on. If he wants to leave we should sell him and Napoli aren’t short of money — they have just sold Cavani for £54m.
So what about landing Reina?
Napoli, under the management of Rafa Benitez, could lure Pepe to Serie A with the goalie’s number one status at Anfield now under threat by the £9 million signing of Simon Mignolet from Sunderland. But any move for the 30-year-old keeper won’t come cheap.
Reina, who is one of the highest earners at Liverpool, still has three years to run of his £110,000 per week contract. Moreover, if Reina does leave Liverpool, the Merseyside giants will likely demand 10 million euros in transfer fees.
It is also unclear whether Reina would like to move from Liverpool as earlier in the summer the keeper went on the record to state that he has an affinity with the club and their supporters.
- Barcelona’s Adama Traore en route to England for Liverpool medical [SPORT]
- Emre Can produced sublime skill & a wonderful dribble during Liverpool’s win...
- Joao Carlos Teixeira’s impressive individual highlights for Liverpool v Swindon (...
- Watch Christian Benteke’s goalscoring debut for Liverpool v Swindon (Video)
- Watch Roberto Firmino’s highlights on his Liverpool debut v Swindon (Video)
- Liverpool offer €17m for Real Madrid attacker Denis Cheryshev [AS]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi