After a bid for QPR’s Cesar collapsed, Napoli move for Liverpool’s Reina [Tony Barrett]
- July 19, 2013
Napoli have made a move for Pepe Reina.
— Tony Barrett (@TonyBarretTimes) July 18, 2013
Tony Barrett, Liverpool’s in-the-know journalist for The Times, issued a Tweet on Thursday night claiming that Napoli have made a move for Reds’ keeper Pepe Reina.
Napoli are well-known to be in the market for a new goalie this summer, and until recently it had seemed that Brazilian international Julio Cesar would be leaving QPR for San Paolo. Now, however, the Cesar deal appears to be dead in the water, and attentions have turned to Liverpool’s Spanish keeper.
Napoli’s pursuit for Cesar seemed to receive it’s death-knell after Harry Redknapp told reporters this week:
To send him on loan for a year and take him back after that is absolutely pointless because he’s still on massive wages. He is in the prime of his career, so now is the time to move on. If he wants to leave we should sell him and Napoli aren’t short of money — they have just sold Cavani for £54m.
So what about landing Reina?
Napoli, under the management of Rafa Benitez, could lure Pepe to Serie A with the goalie’s number one status at Anfield now under threat by the £9 million signing of Simon Mignolet from Sunderland. But any move for the 30-year-old keeper won’t come cheap.
Reina, who is one of the highest earners at Liverpool, still has three years to run of his £110,000 per week contract. Moreover, if Reina does leave Liverpool, the Merseyside giants will likely demand 10 million euros in transfer fees.
It is also unclear whether Reina would like to move from Liverpool as earlier in the summer the keeper went on the record to state that he has an affinity with the club and their supporters.
- Liverpool’s Jose Enrique deletes Twitter & Instagram accounts to focus on fo...
- Liverpool defender Jose Enrique closing in on a move to West Brom [Sky Sports]
- Zlatan & Neymar move to Man United, Chelsea get confused trying to land Stones (44...
- Sunderland rescue Fabio Borini from Liverpool nightmare in £10 million deal
- Liverpool announce signing of Taiwo Awoniyi, immediately send him on loan to Frankfurt
- Man United target Anthony Martial likes playing FIFA with Liverpool [Tweets]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...