After a bid for QPR’s Cesar collapsed, Napoli move for Liverpool’s Reina [Tony Barrett]
Napoli have made a move for Pepe Reina.
— Tony Barrett (@TonyBarretTimes) July 18, 2013
Tony Barrett, Liverpool’s in-the-know journalist for The Times, issued a Tweet on Thursday night claiming that Napoli have made a move for Reds’ keeper Pepe Reina.
Napoli are well-known to be in the market for a new goalie this summer, and until recently it had seemed that Brazilian international Julio Cesar would be leaving QPR for San Paolo. Now, however, the Cesar deal appears to be dead in the water, and attentions have turned to Liverpool’s Spanish keeper.
Napoli’s pursuit for Cesar seemed to receive it’s death-knell after Harry Redknapp told reporters this week:
To send him on loan for a year and take him back after that is absolutely pointless because he’s still on massive wages. He is in the prime of his career, so now is the time to move on. If he wants to leave we should sell him and Napoli aren’t short of money — they have just sold Cavani for £54m.
So what about landing Reina?
Napoli, under the management of Rafa Benitez, could lure Pepe to Serie A with the goalie’s number one status at Anfield now under threat by the £9 million signing of Simon Mignolet from Sunderland. But any move for the 30-year-old keeper won’t come cheap.
Reina, who is one of the highest earners at Liverpool, still has three years to run of his £110,000 per week contract. Moreover, if Reina does leave Liverpool, the Merseyside giants will likely demand 10 million euros in transfer fees.
It is also unclear whether Reina would like to move from Liverpool as earlier in the summer the keeper went on the record to state that he has an affinity with the club and their supporters.
Watch Live Stream
- All of Jordan Henderson’s mistakes for Liverpool v Burton Albion (Video)August 24, 2016
- Mino Raiola offers Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli to Man United [Gazzetta]August 24, 2016
- Mario Balotelli tipped to leave Liverpool to move to Ligue 1 [France Football]August 24, 2016
- Individual highlights of Sadio Mane’s stunning performance for Liverpool v Burton (Video)August 24, 2016
- Eliaquim Mangala’s Man City departure should see Chelsea finally land a defender [Times]August 24, 2016
- Chelsea up their offer for Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly [Gazzetta dello Sport]August 23, 2016
- Gonzalo Higuain sends thank you message to Napoli fans [Instagram]August 19, 2016
- Chelsea launch £60m bid for Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly [Telegraph]August 17, 2016
- Napoli’s Pepe Reina furiously reacts to reports claiming he phoned up Barcelona [Tweet]August 17, 2016
- Two former Liverpool players and Kop Idols tweet their delight at Hillsborough JF96 VerdictApril 27, 2016
- Pepe Reina has a dig at former Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers on TwitterOctober 6, 2015
- Pepe Reina executes stunning overhead kick in Bayern Munich game of footballtennis [Video]April 27, 2015