After a bid for QPR’s Cesar collapsed, Napoli move for Liverpool’s Reina [Tony Barrett]
Napoli have made a move for Pepe Reina.
— Tony Barrett (@TonyBarretTimes) July 18, 2013
Tony Barrett, Liverpool’s in-the-know journalist for The Times, issued a Tweet on Thursday night claiming that Napoli have made a move for Reds’ keeper Pepe Reina.
Napoli are well-known to be in the market for a new goalie this summer, and until recently it had seemed that Brazilian international Julio Cesar would be leaving QPR for San Paolo. Now, however, the Cesar deal appears to be dead in the water, and attentions have turned to Liverpool’s Spanish keeper.
Napoli’s pursuit for Cesar seemed to receive it’s death-knell after Harry Redknapp told reporters this week:
To send him on loan for a year and take him back after that is absolutely pointless because he’s still on massive wages. He is in the prime of his career, so now is the time to move on. If he wants to leave we should sell him and Napoli aren’t short of money — they have just sold Cavani for £54m.
So what about landing Reina?
Napoli, under the management of Rafa Benitez, could lure Pepe to Serie A with the goalie’s number one status at Anfield now under threat by the £9 million signing of Simon Mignolet from Sunderland. But any move for the 30-year-old keeper won’t come cheap.
Reina, who is one of the highest earners at Liverpool, still has three years to run of his £110,000 per week contract. Moreover, if Reina does leave Liverpool, the Merseyside giants will likely demand 10 million euros in transfer fees.
It is also unclear whether Reina would like to move from Liverpool as earlier in the summer the keeper went on the record to state that he has an affinity with the club and their supporters.
Watch Live Stream
- Daniel Sturridge posts amusing video from Liverpool’s 3rd kit launchJuly 29, 2016
- Ovie Ejaria’s impressive individual highlights for Liverpool v Chelsea (Video)July 28, 2016
- Chelsea official Twitter attacked for outrageous Cesc Fabregas claim during Liverpool game [Tweets]July 28, 2016
- Liverpool fans make fun of Chelsea players in the mixed zone (Redmen TV Video)July 28, 2016
- Mario Balotelli linked with moves to Napoli and Ajax [Gianluca Di Marzio]July 29, 2016
- Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis releases furious statement blasting Gonzalo HiguainJuly 29, 2016
- Gonzalo Higuain fires shots at Napoli president during Juventus unveiling (Video)July 28, 2016
- Gonzalo Higuain greeted by Juventus fans in Turin after completing move from Napoli (Video)July 27, 2016
- Two former Liverpool players and Kop Idols tweet their delight at Hillsborough JF96 VerdictApril 27, 2016
- Pepe Reina has a dig at former Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers on TwitterOctober 6, 2015
- Pepe Reina executes stunning overhead kick in Bayern Munich game of footballtennis [Video]April 27, 2015
- Pepe Reina hits an overhead kick in a footvolley game in Bayern training [Video]April 24, 2015