- A shirtless Thierry Henry reacts to New York Red Bulls 1 – New England Revolution 2 [Video]
- Still Got It! 41 year old Cuauhtemoc Blanco scores free-kick for Puebla v Santos Laguna
- (Chelsea’s) Fernando Torres has disappointing 73 minutes in AC Milan 1 – Inter 1 [Individual Highlights]
- AC Milan 1 – Inter Milan 1 [Video Highlights]
- ‘Oh No You Don’t!’ Xavi forced Messi back out onto pitch to receive guard of honour [GIF]
Adrian Mutu suffers a Panenka FAIL as Ajaccio draw with Valenciennes
Romanian legend Adrian Mutu had a Saturday of mixed fortunes in France.
Mutu, now 34-year-old, is closing out his topsy-turvy football career at Ligue 1 minnows Ajaccio, and the centre-forward was his employers hero and villan in a 1-1 draw against Valenciennes.
The striker got Ajaccio off to a great start opening the scoring on the half hour, while just after the hour Mutu was again in the thick of it as VA defender Benjamin Angoua hacked him down outside the box before collecting his marching orders.
Minutes later, in the 64th, Mutu had the opportunity to seal Valenciennes’ fate when Ajaccio were awarded a penalty. But then the drama kicked in.
Mutu slotted the spot-kick away only for the referee to order a retake after spotting players encroach into the penalty box.
Facing a retaken penalty Mutu decided to mix it up with a panenka, however the attacker was left with egg on his face as visiting keeper Nicolas Penneteau caught the kick on his goalline.
Valenciennes rubbed salt in Mutu’s wound when Opa Nguette levelled matters in the 69th.
Mutu later apologised to the Ajaccio fans for his panenka miss, writing on his Facebook page:
Sometimes, when you ask for too much, you end up failing. I apologize to all Ajaccio fans, to my team and my fans. It was my decision to shoot like that, I take full responsibility for it.
Watch Adrian Mutu’s penanka FAIL in the match highlights below.
- Updated: January 20, 2013