AC Milan will do well to still be in the tie after the 1st leg against Barcelona
- February 18, 2013
If you thought Arsenal were taken apart by Bayern Munich on Tuesday, the San Siro could witness another one-sided Champions League first leg this evening.
As what is generally considered to be the world’s best club side face what up until a few weeks ago was a mid-table Serie A team.
Of course, the main reason behind AC Milan’s recent renaissance is Mario Balotelli but the Italian striker with four goals in his opening three matches in Serie A is suspended.
So, we are left with a distinctly unimpressive AC Milan starting XI, taking on the form team in Europe.
Christian Abbiati looks set for a busy evening with AC Milan’s pourous defence (31 goals conceded in 25 Serie A matches) hoping to contain Lionel Messi and co.
Barcelona have their first choice back four available and with Xavi back from injury will likely see their regular levels of possession and control.
Massimo Allegri’s best hopes appear to be Kevin Prince-Boateng (scorer of a wonder goal against Barca last season), the hugely impressive young striker Stephan El Shaarawy and the San Siro pitch that could disrupt Barcelona.
Yes, Barcelona’s record at AC Milan is not great but on paper this appears to be a mismatch.
The Rossoneri didn’t get close to Barcelona in their matches last season, with the likes of Thiago Silva and Zlatan Ibrahimovic in their ranks, this tie could be over in 90 minutes.
To give AC Milan fans some hope, below is an excellent video recapping previous meetings with Barcelona at the San Siro.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi