AC Milan v Atletico Madrid: Back the Rossoneri to cause an upset tonight but lose the tie in Spain
When the draw was made pitting AC Milan against Atletico Madrid it looked rather one sided.
The Rossoneri are not what they were, languishing in ninth in Serie A currently and Diego Simeone’s Atletico have been one of the stories of the season, putting up a stern fight to the established superpowers of Real Madrid and Barcelona in La Liga.
Atletico Madrid remain heavy favourites to qualify for the next round of the Champions League – 1.33 compared to AC Milan at 3.25 with Winner.com – but we fancy Clarence Seedorf to galvanise his side tonight.
The arrival of Seedorf as coach has perhaps not made too much difference with AC Milan’s performances but they have looked a little more organised and do have match winners in their starting line-up.
If, and its a major if, the likes of Kaka, Adel Taarabt and Mario Balotelli can fire together, AC Milan will be a very tough team to stop.
Keisuke Honda, who has been impressive since joining in January, is cup tied, whilst the likes of Robinho, Stephan El Shaarawy and Bryan Cristante are injured.
Atletico Madrid have also shown signs of late that they may be tiring with three successive defeats, twice to Real Madrid with a loss at Almeria in La Liga sandwiched in between.
Diego Simeone has made very few changes all season and although the 3-0 win over Real Valladolid keeps them level on points at the top of La Liga, their star players have barely been rested.
Influential full back Filipe Luis misses out on the trip to the San Siro due to injury and midfielder Tiago is also unavailable.
Much will depend on Diego Costa and this is a big game for Atletico who breezed through the group stages.
101gg predicts: AC Milan to win 2-1 (13.0) & Mario Balotelli to score the last goal (6.50).
Watch Live Stream
- Done Deal: AC Milan sign a Chelsea midfielder on loanAugust 27, 2016
- AC Milan confirm rejection of huge Chelsea offer for Alessio Romagnoli [Official Statement]August 25, 2016
- Chelsea starlet Mario Pasalic to join AC Milan on season long-loan for €1m [Di Marzio]August 24, 2016
- Chelsea up their offer for AC Milan’s Alessio Romagnoli [RMC Sport]August 24, 2016
- Chelsea striker Diego Costa admits he wanted to leave for Atletico Madrid this summerAugust 30, 2016
- Atletico Madrid offered Real Madrid €70m for Alvaro Morata [AS]August 28, 2016
- Arsenal tried to sign Antoine Griezmann & Robert Lewandowski this summer [Sun]August 28, 2016
- Rumours linking Arsenal to Antoine Griezmann are lies [Arseblog]August 24, 2016