A year after Port Said, Ismaily fans riot after losing a penalty shootout to USM Alger
- April 2, 2013
Unacceptable scenes broke at after USM Alger beat Egyptian outfit Ismaily in a penalty shootout in the Arab Cup on Tuesday.
After a goalless 120 minutes in the UAFA Cup semifinal Algerians USM won a shootout 4-3.
As the USM players celebrated with jubilant hugs on the pitch, one Ismaily fan was filmed being manhandled on the field after he had unlawfully rushed onto the pitch following the penalty defeat.
Immediately after that a large ring of security swarmed the match officials in an effort to shepherd them safely down the tunnel.
Amid a furore of pitch invading fans and determined security men, Ismaily fans were pictured ripping up stadium seats as Egyptian security forces responded with teargas.
The mayhem resulted in several injuries, including an injury to Ismaily’s third goalkeeper Mahmoud Shoukri.
This incident comes just a year after the tragedy of Port Said in which at least 79 people were killed and more than 1,000 were injured after thousands of Al-Masry stormed the pitch after a match with Al Ahly.
Footage of the Ismaily fans rioting after the match can be seen below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...