Brazilian ref’s penalty call sparks a pitch invasion, so he bottles it & ends game early
- April 8, 2013
Mayhem brought a match in Brazil to an premature conclusion as the Campeonato Cearense clash between rivals Guarani de Juazeiro and Guarany de Sobral ended 0-0.
All hell broke loose in the 88th minute when referee César Magalhães mistakenly pointed to the spot after Guarani de Juazeiro defender Igor executed a brilliant tackle on Guarany de Sobral’s Maciel.
The referee’s decision was no-doubt criminal, however the man in black initially stood firm behind his call as he received flak from the home team.
Unfortunately, though, the ref was unable to quell the de Juazeiro anger, and within minutes players, substitutes, coaches and fans had forced riot police to form a ring of protection around the official and the linesman.
What happened next was unbelievable.
Rather than either forcing the everyone off the pitch so that Guarany de Sobral could take the spot-kick, or abandoning the match in favour of the visitors, the referee simply bottled it by signalling the early end of the match.
Watch the barmby footage below.
Watch Sepp Blatter quit as FIFA President
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]