A match in Italy has to be replayed after a ref mistakenly sent off an identical twin [Picture]
- April 3, 2014
Italian identical twins Matteo and Michele Rossi, who play in the ninth tier of Italian football for amateur side SSD Castello, have been involved in a strange story of mistaken identity on the pitch.
Several weeks back in a match against GS Alviano, Michele was sent off for a foul his brother Matteo committed.
According to reports after the foul lead to a penalty for Alviano a flare-up between the sides kicked off on the pitch and in the confusion the referee made a critical error.
A local refereeing official has since announced:
The referee, purely due to error, in the 27th minute of the second half sent off SSD Castello’s number seven Michele Rossi instead of their number nine Matteo Rossi.
It was an error that had an undoubted impact on the game and as such the match should be replayed.
The match had originally ended 2-2.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...