A brilliant Panenka penalty you won’t have seen: Younis Mahmoud (Iraq) v Bahrain
- January 16, 2013
Its easy to compare every Panenka penalty with Andrea Pirlo’s famous effort against England at Euro 2012 but Younis Mahmoud’s spot kick yesterday undoubtedly stands up very favourably.
Mahmoud is a veteran of Iraq’s national side and took a crucial penalty kick with both teams level at 2-2 in the shoot-out of the Gulf Cup semi-final on Tuesday after a 1-1 draw.
Much like Pirlo, Mahmoud’s Panenka was also psychologically effective as Bahrain missed their very next penalty through Abdulwahab Al Malood allowing keeper Noor Sabri to win it for Iraq.
Younis Mahmoud’s beautiful Panenka penalty is on the first video. Compare it to Pirlo on the second video below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi