- Barcelona defender Thomas Vermaelen injured AGAIN with fresh hamstring problem [Mundo Deportivo]
- David Baddiel on Chelsea 2 – West Brom 0: Diego Costa is AMAZING
- Matthew Etherington tells the “Naked Tony Pulis” story
- Confirmed: Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus out until January with ankle ligament rupture
- The best jokes ripping into Joe Allen’s stupid head bandage for Liverpool v Palace [Pictures]
£20m Liverpool bid for Dejan Lovren rebuffed, Croat to snub Saints pre-season to force exit [Daily Echo]
The Southern Daily Echo have reported on Thursday that Liverpool have had a £20m bid turned down by Southampton for Croatian international defender Dejan Lovren.
The Croat was arguably Southampton’s player of the season in 2013-14, in defensive terms anyway, and with Liverpool badly in need of defensive reinforcements, Brendan Rodgers has been rumoured for while to have identified Lovren as a likely defensive recruitment.
Having signed Adam Lallana from St Mary’s earlier in the week, Liverpool, however, are having a tougher time getting a deal for Lovren over the line.
Liverpool want to sign Lovren and it is understood that at least two approaches from the Reds have been knocked back this summer…
Liverpool are said to have [bid £20m] only for Saints to stand firm and knock back the offer, and the club will point to the four-year contract the player signed when he joined from Lyon in an £8.5m deal last summer.
In the face of a stubborn Southampton stance, Lovren, who has already posted his transfer notice at the club, is now being mooted to snub the Saints pre-season in an effort to force his exit to Anfield.
- Updated: July 3, 2014