- Xabi Alonso on uber-wealthy Man City’s European struggles: Football is not mathematics
- Fan footage of Harry Kane’s equaliser for Spurs against Hull [Video]
- Paul Pogba stole the show as Juventus recorded comprehensive win over Lazio [Official Highlights]
- Howard Webb discusses yellow cards and discipline with Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville
- Dortmund attacker Marco Reus scores before sustaining ankle injury against Paderborn [Video]
2 sent off & riot police called in: Portuguesa go MAD over placement of Gremio penalty
You have to feel sorry for Portuguesa but what ensued in the final minutes of their 3-2 defeat at Gremio was very much a scene we have witnessed numerous times in South American football over the years.
Lowly Portuguesa looked dead and buried at 2-0 down to high flying Gremio on Saturday night, with 20 minutes to go.
Portuguesa brought it back to 2-2 within 8 minutes and could well have bagged a crucial point in their battle for safety in the Campeonato Brasileiro.
It all came crashing down on 86 as the referee awarded a penalty to Gremio and the Portuguesa players got pretty mad about the placement of Kleber’s penalty.
Subsequently, Bruninho and Voldimiro were sent off with riot police making an appearance to calk everyone down.
Kleber scored to seal a 3-2 win and Portuguesa barely had enough players to launch another attack in the final minutes.
- Updated: September 8, 2013