100+ pepper-spraying policemen attacked Schalke fans to remove a provocative Macedonian flag
- August 22, 2013
So here’s the background.
Greek club PAOK has long-established roots to Macedonia following the population exchange between Greece and Turkey in 1923, with PAOK fans known for having a deep-rooted hatred for all things Macedonian following that historical event.
During Wednesday night’s Champions League match between Schalke and PAOK in Germany, a handful of Schalke fans unfurled a Macedonian flag in the north stand of the stadium in an attempt to provoke the visitors.
Rather than upset the travelling supporters though, the Schalke fans received a strong backlash from the local police at the Veltins-Arena in Gelsenkirchen.
After the flag was made visible in the home crowd, hundreds of police piled into the Schalke section to remove the offending object. The police were heavy-handed in their response, using pepper-spray and batons on Schalke’s ultras and leaving many German fans in considerable physical pain.
Footage of the police taking on the Schalke supporters can be seen below.
- Schalke reject £8.5m bid from Tottenham for 19-year-old Leroy Sané [Kicker]
- One-time Arsenal target Julian Draxler looks set to join Juventus after he threw a good...
- Schalke defender Benedikt Howedes says he rejected a move to Arsenal
- Julian Draxler’s agent rubbishes rumours of an Arsenal or Man City move [Bild]
- FFS: Leicester City sign Christian Fuchs from Schalke – cue jokes on his expletiv...
- Bayern Munich have to pay Schalke €2m after Manuel Neuer reached the Champions League s...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi