Manchester United v Liverpool: Preview & betting tips for the International Champions Cup final
- August 4, 2014
Possible starting lineups
Manchester United: De Gea; Smalling, Jones, Evans; Young, Cleverley, Fletcher, Shaw; Kagawa, Rooney, Hernandez.
Robin van Persie and Michael Carrick remain United’s biggest absentees in the International Champions Cup, whilst Louis van Gaal is tipped to once again change up his side for the pre-season showpiece final.
Liverpool: Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Coates, Robinson, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Lambert, Coutinho, Sterling.
Liverpool will be without Daniel Sturridge, who, along with Jon Flanagan and Adam Lallana, has headed back to England to receive treatment for an injury. New signing Lazar Markovic will also miss the United match with a knock.
It may only be a pre-season friendly, but matches between Manchester United and Liverpool rarely play out without a certain degree of needle over the 90 minutes.
Accordingly, Louis van Gaal and Brendan Rodgers will both be hugely keen on seeing their sides claim a victory over their bitter rivals in the final of the International Champions Cup in Miami on Monday night/early Tuesday morning.
Liverpool qualified for the final without even kicking a ball after Man City lost to Olympiakos last weekend, and in the process the Reds, along with the Red Devils, have scooped a handy £2 million in prize money just for reaching the final.
Both sides are likely to go for the win in the Sun Life Stadium, with Liverpool poised to recall Steven Gerrard to their starting XI, while Raheem Sterling and Philippe Coutinho are likely to deployed as the creative fulcrums in midfield.
At the back, Sebastian Coates may get another opportunity to remind Liverpool fans of his existence in the match.
As for United, van Gaal is likely to persist with his 3-4-3 formation, with Shinji Kagawa, Javier Hernandez and Wayne Rooney a possible starting trio up front for the Red Devils.
At the back, Luke Shaw should get another runout as the summer signing looks to impress the new manager, who recently singled him out for being unfit.
It’s also worth pointing out the in his first four matches in charge at United, Louis van Gaal has won on all four occasions.
101GG Prediction: Manchester United 2 – Liverpool 1.
- Liverpool announce signing of Taiwo Awoniyi, immediately send him on loan to Frankfurt
- Man United target Anthony Martial likes playing FIFA with Liverpool [Tweets]
- Liverpool & Sunderland fans make plenty of jokes on Fabio Borini’s potential...
- Liverpool’s Lazar Markovic presented at Fenerbahce after completing loan move
- Dejan Lovren deletes his Instagram account after abuse from Liverpool fans (Tweets)
- Slaven Bilic tries to explain West Ham’s incredible away form this season
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...