Manchester United v Liverpool: Preview & betting tips for the International Champions Cup final
- August 4, 2014
Possible starting lineups
Manchester United: De Gea; Smalling, Jones, Evans; Young, Cleverley, Fletcher, Shaw; Kagawa, Rooney, Hernandez.
Robin van Persie and Michael Carrick remain United’s biggest absentees in the International Champions Cup, whilst Louis van Gaal is tipped to once again change up his side for the pre-season showpiece final.
Liverpool: Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Coates, Robinson, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Lambert, Coutinho, Sterling.
Liverpool will be without Daniel Sturridge, who, along with Jon Flanagan and Adam Lallana, has headed back to England to receive treatment for an injury. New signing Lazar Markovic will also miss the United match with a knock.
It may only be a pre-season friendly, but matches between Manchester United and Liverpool rarely play out without a certain degree of needle over the 90 minutes.
Accordingly, Louis van Gaal and Brendan Rodgers will both be hugely keen on seeing their sides claim a victory over their bitter rivals in the final of the International Champions Cup in Miami on Monday night/early Tuesday morning.
Liverpool qualified for the final without even kicking a ball after Man City lost to Olympiakos last weekend, and in the process the Reds, along with the Red Devils, have scooped a handy £2 million in prize money just for reaching the final.
Both sides are likely to go for the win in the Sun Life Stadium, with Liverpool poised to recall Steven Gerrard to their starting XI, while Raheem Sterling and Philippe Coutinho are likely to deployed as the creative fulcrums in midfield.
At the back, Sebastian Coates may get another opportunity to remind Liverpool fans of his existence in the match.
As for United, van Gaal is likely to persist with his 3-4-3 formation, with Shinji Kagawa, Javier Hernandez and Wayne Rooney a possible starting trio up front for the Red Devils.
At the back, Luke Shaw should get another runout as the summer signing looks to impress the new manager, who recently singled him out for being unfit.
It’s also worth pointing out the in his first four matches in charge at United, Louis van Gaal has won on all four occasions.
101GG Prediction: Manchester United 2 – Liverpool 1.
- Arsenal begin talks to sign Barcelona winger Pedro [Independent]
- Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard gave a half-time speech at LA Galaxy [video]
- Liverpool lead the race for Newcastle’s Moussa Sissoko [L’Equipe]
- Man City may spend almost £100m on Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling & Kevin De Br...
- Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard unveiled at LA Galaxy during HT of Toronto rout [video]
- Internacional have sold Brazilian midfielder Allan to Liverpool for £500,000 [UOL Esporte]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi